Chapter 9-The Order

Chapter 9

The din in the council chambers of the Ordo Aquitas Albion, known simply as The Order was deafening. 

A woman in a tailored business suit stood up motioning for silence.  She was of average height and build but was the commanding presence in the room.

“Four of the Five have been located and are being brought in.  Our moment is at hand ladies and gentlemen.  We must be calm and be grateful for our good fortune.  We will bring The Five together and using their gifts bring order to chaos.”

“Arianna, can we control The Five?  We have evidence that together they caused the great flood, the inspiration for the bible story of Noah. Our research indicates that they unremorsefully tore down the wall that held back the Indian Ocean flooding the valley that is now theBlack Sea.  They caused the eruption of Vesuvius destroyingPompeiiandHerculaneum, the earthquake and tidal wave that destroyed the Continent of Atlantis.  How can we possibly hope to control them?”

“The whole reason for our existence as an Order is to bring The Five together.  If you did not have the heart for this you should never have been inducted.  Do you believe in our goals Marcus?  We are in a position to bring divine retribution to those that would disturb our way of life, the ones who question and seek to destroy our values.  We will pull the trigger, we will control the outcome.”

The dissident nodded and sat down in his seat.  Conversations again erupted around her.

“Arianna, what precautions are we taking?”

“We will keep them separated until we determine what action to take.  We will gain their trust and train them.”

Another stood from his seat.

“Are we not being a little premature, we only have four of The Five, no one has been able to locate the Fifth.  Without her all of our planning is for naught.”

“She will be located and we will begin preparations to correct all of the debauchery and impropriety that is rife in our communities.”

They all nodded and Arianna left the room leaving them to their discussions.

She sighed pinching the bridge of her nose as she sat at her desk.  Preparations had been made for three of the girls, but the fourth would be more difficult.  How do you keep someone away from air without them being suspicious of your intentions?

She would worry about those things later right now she had to make sure that everything was in place for Shaundra Pendleton.

She called Connor.

“Hello?”

“Frayne, Victor is flying out tomorrow to assist you with your preparations inSeattle.  Meet him at the airport at 3 p.m.  Have you made arrangements for transport to the facility?”

“I contacted the pilot’s this morning and they will be waiting for us on the Tarmac.”

“Perfect, the room is ready and secure.  You are certain she knows nothing of her abilities?”

“She thinks she is a nut job which works in our favor.  We will have no problem getting her to agree to come.  Of course I do have contingencies if that is not the case.”

“Excellent, we will see you on Saturday then and you will receive your payment plus a bonus for being the first to deliver.”

“Just what I wanted to hear.” Connor said.

Arianna hung up the phone.  She hated hiring people like Connor, all he cared about was money.  He had no higher purpose in life. He was the perfect example of the scum she was going to rid the world of.

She called and checked in on the other four trackers. Three were close the fourth was coming up empty in his search. 

She hung up the phone in frustration the women were nearly useless without the Fifth.  Once the other trackers came in with their quarries she would send them to help.

She opened her laptop and perused the ancient documents for the ten thousandth time.  She’d had to learn Cuneiform, Egyptian hieroglyphics, Aramaic, and Greek.  Her skills in these languages led Arianna to her current position in the order.

All of the documents told the same story of death and destruction at the hands of The Five.  They were other worldly beings of great power who appear when human agendas become imbalanced with that of nature.

Responsible for earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, hurricanes, perhaps even the Black Death. The Order was still exploring that theory, but every indication said that the timing would be appropriate as it was in the middle of the dark ages. 

If she could control them, control their power she would be able to bring peace to the world.  Millions would have to die to bring about this peace.  There was always a price when you were changing the world and Arianna considered these losses acceptable.

Everything in the world was off kilter she would be the one to fix it.  The Five would be the tool.  Flatten the Middle East, wipe outCalifornia, set off the Super Volcano inYosemite.

The world would bow to the will of The Order, conformity, equality, justice. Arianna smiled at the thought.