Chapter 12

Although he stood just three feet away from the stones, Billy couldn't believe that he had found them. He felt a lump in his throat and tears threatened to escape from his eyes. He could already imagine Freddy sitting between the two stones and talking his heart out, catching up with what was lost so many years ago.

Billy walked closer to the graves and put his hands on top. On his hands he felt cold stone, but felt a great amount of love go inside him, like a spirit taking over. The feeling that he had been searching for was finally found. Being abandoned by his mother, the years of searching for her and running away, uniting with this family, and finding his best friend's parents...all that lead up to this moment just so that he could find that one thing he never had: love. It was like he was being led onto an unknown path. He had reached the end and found it. He now understood the feeling. Billy loved his family and would do anything to make them smile, make them heal, just like they did to him.

Billy let the tears flow freely. He was sick of holding back his emotions. He was sick of being stone cold. He wanted warmth, and thanks to all that has happened, he had it.

Ezekiel put a hand on Billy's shoulder. "I know. It is emotional. It makes even the coldest of hearts melt."

Billy laughed under his breath. "Yeah, it does."

"Would you like to speak with them alone?"

"Um, I don't know what to say."

"It's like that at first, but as you begin to speak, the rest of the words will follow through. I will be sitting on the bench until you finish." He walked toward the nearest bench without saying another word.

Billy knelt before the two tombstones and stared at their names. He swallowed hard, thinking of what to say. It felt ridiculous talking to two stones, but he knew better. Once he could find the words, it'll be as if they were there.

He cleared his throat and began. "H-hi. My name is Billy Batson. Your son, Freddy, he's been with us in a foster home. He's really cool and is my best friend. I promise we've been taking good care of him. He's just disabled in the leg.

"You know, he never got a chance to say goodbye to you guys. I made it my priority to find you guys for him, you know, as a surprise. He's been missing you guys so much. He has your things displayed, Mr. Freeman. Well, not now since it's been rough on him these past few days. I just want you guys to know that you'll be seeing him tomorrow. After many years...you're gonna see your son again." Just the thought of what tomorrow would be like made the 14-year-old cry. "It's gonna be great. Everyone you guys have known are going to be there, too. It's a reunion...mostly for you and Freddy. I just wish that you guys were together physically, but soon you will be. Right now we'll just settle for this." Billy laughed under his breath, tears still falling down his cheeks.

Billy could feel the two Freemans smiling down at him. He felt accomplished.

He felt a hand on his shoulder. He looked up to see Mary and the other three kneeling before the stones. He wondered what their stories were and if he could possibly help them, too. They were his family. He would do anything to make them happy and healed from any wounds that haven't healed. If they did, he wouldn't quit on them.

Mary spoke to the Freemans this time. "He's gonna be so excited to see you guys again, I know it. He's never failed to keep a part of you guys around him, but...throughout these last few days, he's been putting them away. We don't want him to push you guys out of his life, even if he doesn't know it. Tomorrow will be the day when all that changes. He'll be happier than we've ever seen him."

Yeah, Billy thought. He his arms around Mary and Eugene. This was his family. They've definitely made him happier than ever before, and he felt blessed to be a part of them. He let the tears continue to fall freely.
-------------------------------------------------------
After visiting Freddy's parents, Billy decided to spend the evening with his foster parents. When he got home, spent the evening making dinner and setting up the table with Rosa. He promised himself to spend the night with Victor. Billy put the plates and silverware in their proper places.

"So, how'd it go today?" Rosa asked as she stirred the soup. "Did you find them?"

Billy nodded. "Yeah, we did and it was awesome."

"Really? How so?"

"I don't know. It's just...I guess it's just cool to be able to help my brother out, you know. I mean, you guys have done so much for me and I want to return the favor."

Rosa smiled at him, but by looking into her eyes, he knew that she knew more. She didn't force it out of him, though, and he was grateful for it. He didn't want to make this about him. This was about his brother, his family. They deserved to be happy just like they made him.

"So, what's the plan for tomorrow? How are we going to do this?"

Billy aligned the last of the silverware. He crossed his arms on the chair and stared at the table as he spoke. "Ezekiel's telling everyone that the Freemans knew to go to the cemetery at around noon. Then around 2:00, we'll bring Freddy. He's gonna be blindfolded. I'll tell him that we're taking him some place cool as a surprise." The more he talked about the plans for tomorrow, the more excited he got. His heart raced at the thought of it.

"This is a really nice thing that you're doing, Billy. None of us thought to go great lengths to make Freddy joyful. We just assumed he was happy already. But then came along Billy Batson who knew how to look deeper and understand how he felt."

Billy laughed under his breath in embarrassment.

Rosa stopped stirring and walked over to her foster son. She hugged him. "I'm proud of you."

Billy returned the hug. "I don't deserve all the credit. I wouldn't have been the kid I am today without learning a thing or two from you guys. I'm happy that I decided to stay. Now I see why Mary didn't want to be away from you guys."

His comments made Rosa hug him even tighter. He loved the feeling, though. It felt good to be held by someone he loved. Rosa was more of a mom than his own and he was so grateful to have her.

As he hugged his foster mother, he looked around the house. His mind went back in time to when he first walked into the house and how cold his heart was. Now he was a part of them; a part of a family who would do anything for each other because they understood. He closed his eyes and thought about the feeling of love that he felt when he touched the graves of Abigail and Ryan Freeman. That same feeling of love overtook him again, this time in Rosa's arms. He imagined how meaningful it would be for Freddy tomorrow, to have that feeling of love stronger than ever before.

A foster's home, Billy thought. One of the best places to be.

Billy held on to Rosa for another minute, though he wished it would never end.

The next chapter will be the one y'all have been waiting for. Freddy will finally be reunited with his parents. Hope you guys are enjoying it so far. God bless you!!!!:):):):)