Chapter 23~ Secrets

Cadence

"You've reached the mailbox of 404-245-7823, please leave a message. Beep."

I was sitting at the table with Lena drinking a cup of coffee. Jacob had called her over so I wouldn't be alone. It was nice for her to come, but I thought Jacob was being a little precarious.

"You look stressed out. I'm sure Jacob will be back before you know it."

"Lena I swear sometimes I feel that I'm living in someone else's body and the things that go on that I'm looking through their eyes, living their lives."

She took a sip of her coffee and leaned over the counter.

"Why do you think you are having those dreams again? Guilty conscious about something or someone? I'm assuming since Jacob called me, you haven't told Evan about you two."

"No. Evan won't return my calls. He asks about the girls and then he finds some excuse to get off the phone. I've tried but I've haven't told him."

"He has been swamped."

"I can understand that but he never use to blow me off. Do you think he might know that Jacob and I are together?"

"He hadn't mentioned it."

"You and Evan seem really close."

She narrowed her eyes at me. "He is like a brother to me."

"I didn't mean to apply that you and him have anything else than a plutonic and professional relationship going on. I know he confides in you and I was just wondering if he had mentioned anything about him and I."

She traced the rim of the coffee mug as I could see the wheels turning in her head.

"Evan still loves you and it breaks my heart because he is my friend and boss but you chose Jacob over him. You have two beautiful girls together and I've always been a firm believer that you don't give up on your family."

"I didn't give up Lena."

"It just feels that way to me. The way he looks at you or even seeing him with the girls, most women would die to have a man like him. Here I am can't find a decent piece of a man and you have one that's loves you so much that you are too blind to see," she said leaning back on the counter.

I wasn't sure where the words were coming from. Over the years Lena and I had become close almost like sisters although we were cousins. I stared at her as she took a sip of her coffee.

"I do love Evan but not the way I use to love him. So many things have happened that can't be repaired."

"Why?"

"Because it can't!"

"When Evan lost his memory, I know it killed you inside. I could see the love you had for him, and he even did things that was so out of character but he worked hard to get it back. I know he wants you back. Why can't you just give him a second chance?"

"Because I am in love with Jacob."

"And I think you're still in love with Evan. You two had a happy life before the shooting. I still believe you two can rekindle what you had."

"Stop Lena!" I said raising my hand.

"You know I'm right. I wouldn't be surprised if he was willing to have a piece of you instead of not having you at all."

"I gave Jacob my heart and I believe he's always had it. Even before Evan and I got married I loved Jacob. I thought it would be easier to be with Evan because I was pregnant. He begged me not to marry Evan but I didn't want the girls to grow up without their dad, but that happened anyway."