C H A P T E R T H I R T Y

remember when i said that the updates would be shorter? this is a prime example. the next one should be longer tho. 

hope you're all staying safe. 

C H A P T E R 

T H I R T Y 

A D E L A I D E 

I was not content to sit and let these people "play their little game," as Leo so kindly put it. While we let them do this, we were putting others in danger. The resolution was to secretly move into an abandoned cabin without telling a single soul, except Emerson and Brett, of course.

Leo was putting on the pressure by assigning himself to a section of the border each night. He didn't think he would be able to tell outright which one was the traitor, but he was curious as to what would happen. Which meant Leo was becoming nocturnal.

He would stay up all night and return in the morning, usually get four hours of sleep before returning to the pack house to do regular work until his shift started. Meanwhile, I was so emotionally exhausted by everything that I was in bed before ten and awake at eight in the morning, right when Leo was crawling under the covers to sleep.

The schedule made my heart ache. Even though Emerson and Brett were spending the nights with me, I was lonely.

Leo and I barely spoke for two weeks, other than greeting, saying goodbye, and idle chit chat about our day.

"I know it's hard, bug," Leo told me as he dressed for his shift at the Eastern border.

"You promised tonight we were going to have dinner together," I claimed, folding my arms over my chest. I forced myself to look angry, pushing down the emotions at the sight of the abandoned dinner I had prepared. "You promised."

"I know I did. But I had a call with nearby packs. My allies. The ones who are going to back us up if war is about to break out. The call went long and I couldn't control it. I have to facilitate positive connections between all of us, right? In order to get the most support," Leo explained, pulling an athletic long-sleeved shirt over his head. "I messaged Brett and Emerson that you had a wonderful dinner made, so they haven't eaten yet."

My bottom lip pursed. "I didn't make dinner for them. I made it for you," I claimed.

Leo sighed, tugging on black joggers as he shook his head. He needed a haircut, I noted. I hadn't noticed it getting this long. "I am so lucky to have you. I'm going to eat it on my way over to my shift. We are also lucky to have Brett and Emerson, who are so willing-"

"I am thankful for them!" I cried in exasperation. "Don't make me feel guilty for wanting to spend time with you."

The Alpha stood up, cupping my face gently. "Once this is all over, I am going to smother you with my presence."

"Just one dinner. That's all I wanted," I mumbled, letting him kiss my forehead. "I miss you."

"I miss you more, Adelaide. These are just rough waters we have to navigate. But we will and then you'll get as much of me as you want."

~ ~ ~

I picked at my plate as Emerson and Brett were busy gushing over some new movie they saw earlier in the day on their "day date". It was like I wasn't even there, which wasn't just their fault. As the days passed, I tended to fade more into the background when they were here anyways.

Dumping my full plate into the trash, I started to put the leftovers in containers. It took me two hours to make this dinner. Chicken thighs in a lemon marinade, roasted vegetables, and a pasta salad. I even made brownies for dessert, which was meant to be a surprise for Leo. But he hadn't even wanted one on his way out. He just swiped a chicken thigh with his bare hands, kissed my hair, and jogged outside.

The petty part of me hoped he choked on one of the bones, but like only for a few seconds. Not like a death-choke or anything. It hurt that he didn't seem to be having the same emotions I did with our weird schedule. His weird schedule, I should say. He told me he didn't like it, but his tone was emotionless. It was frustrating. Why was I the one who always looked crazy in these circumstances?

"Norwest's Alpha told Leo that he needs to persecute the Rogues. He advised that all of this came from the ones in Monterey," Brett was saying, catching my attention.

I shut the fridge a little harsher than I meant, turning to meet his gaze. "Excuse me?"

He nodded, swallowing a mouthful of pasta. "Yeah. Norwest sent their best tracker. He said it smelled like rogue to him."

"It was Harrison. This has all been Harrison," I insisted. "What's Leo going to do?"

Brett shrugged. "He's not going to do anything. Surely, he's told you that we just kind of have to wait for something else to happen."

"Our best tracker didn't pick up on any rogues. Which is bullshit, by the way, because rogues don't often have a distinguishable scent. Only the ones who don't shower and go crazy, which is like less than one percent of the rogue population. It's a stereotype," I informed them.

Emerson grinned at me. "They really need you sitting in on their conference, as a voice for them," she claimed, elbowing Brett. "Right?"

"We should. We need an advocate for them, but last time she did, she was practically accosted," Brett muttered. "Men not listening to a well-informed woman, can you believe it?"

"I don't want to be the voice for them. I was barely one for a month. We need to be fostering a relationship with the individuals in Monterey." As I spoke, I quickly came to understand that this was something that only I could get done. Leo would agree that we need their help, but I didn't believe he would take the necessary steps to get it done. Especially if Norwest, our most powerful ally, was so openly against rogues.

Brett and Emerson searched my face and perfectly in-sync muttered, "I don't like the look on your face."

"I'm not going to sit around and wait for more of my stuff to get pissed on, or worse, someone else to get slaughtered. If I leave now, I would be back long before Leo finishes his shift," I claimed.

Brett grimaced. "You didn't learn your lesson after calling Harrison?"

"Ummmm..." I pretended to think about it. "Nope. No, I did not."