Chapter 7

Naruto grunted as he pulled himself up to the metal bar, completing his required fifty chin-ups. He wasn’t quite sure why Sasuke wanted him to also work on his upper body strength, but the blonde figured it didn’t hurt to have some added strength that helped outside of his specialised area.

“You done yet, idiot?” The blonde spun to the voice of Sasuke, who’d been lurking in the doorway throughout Naruto’s workout. He was only slightly surprised that the Uzumaki was already starting to exercise outside of his given schedule, for Sasuke expected this to happen a little later, closer to the date of the race, perhaps.

“B-Bastard!” Naruto accused, pointing a finger. “How long have you been standing there for?” The Uchiha shrugged and sauntered into the room,

“Since you hit twenty, I think.” Naruto watched as Sasuke started his stretching. “Something happen?” The Uchiha asked, which surprised the Uzumaki greatly.

“No, of course not.” Sasuke caught the lie easily, and Naruto knew it. It was part of being an Uchiha to be able to see through deception, since most tried to get close due to the great money held inside the family.

“Just focus on your own confidence, that’s how you win in the end.” Naruto glanced over to Sasuke, and wondered if that was the Uchiha’s own way of trying to cheer him up. “Hurry up and get on the treadmill.” Naruto did as he was told, jogging at a moderate rate. His jaw clenched, and he pressed a button, making the belt spin even faster.

The edge of Sasuke’s lips twitched downwards, not liking how amped up the blonde seemed to be. “Calm down.” He grunted, “Don’t hurt yourself before the race, idiot.” Naruto let his mind slip away, and Sasuke allowed him to do so without interruption.

~*~*~*~*~

“Naruto!” Sakura called, standing from her seat in English class to wave him over. “Over here! Naruto!” She watched as the blonde glanced up at her, and didn’t hesitate to join her with a grin.

“Hey, Sakura!” Naruto sat, letting his bag drop to the ground heavily, and sat back with a sigh. The pink haired woman was silent for a moment, before appoligising.

“Hey, you know I didn’t mean what I said before, right?” She had time for this, she figured, since Kakashi was almost always late for his lectures. “I have a really bad temper, and I usually blow up. I can’t help it!” She was confused when Naruto merely chuckled, his toothy, closed eyes grin still present.

“So, are you saying you think I’m going to win?” Sakura stared at him, and wondered- Did she actually believe he could do it? To beat Itachi, it would take great skill. But, even she’d noticed the change in his form when he ran. Even running to catch up with her, she noticed a difference, but she couldn’t place it.

“Yes.” She finally answered, which got a flash of surprise from the blonde, before his normal cheery demeanour returned. Sakura turned forward stubbornly, her lips pursed. “I still think you’re an idiot, and that you shouldn’t underestimate him.” Naruto leaned forward as Kakashi entered the room, having been fifteen minutes late.

“Sure, Sakura.” Naruto couldn’t concentrate that lesson. But, this time it wasn’t because he found the class boring. Instead, he kept repeating words in his head.

‘Someone believes in me.’

“Naruto,” Drawled the white haired man from the front, lifting his eye from his book. “Would you care to explain what onomatopoeia is, and give us an example?” Kakashi knew he had the blonde backed into a corner. It was obvious by the way he rose- as stiff as a plank- that he had no idea what the answer was.