Anchor

"Maybe...you can turn into a huge wolf."

I throw a pea at my brother and he easily catches it between his teeth. I laugh as he drops it in his hand. One thing Scott hates, is vegetables. I slip off my jacket and turn to get a glass. "Ouch," I hear Scott say.

I look up and he's staring at my new tattoo on my back. It's a feather that is the size of my back. The feather is breaking off and the pieces are becoming birds flying away. I got to represent freedom and independence. I sigh. "I had to."

"Why?"

"After the whole Deucalion thing, I needed something to remind me I don't need a pack because I'm my own person. Besides, I'm out."

"Out?"

"Yeah, Scott. I'm done. I might be a werewolf but I'm not getting myself involved in all this extra supernatural mess."

He walks across the room and wraps his arms around me. I hated it when he did this because he knows I need to cry. But, this time, I don't. I just hold him back. We stand in silence, holding one another. After dinner, I wash the dishes and go to my room. Scott and I finally got two separate beds. I sit on the edge of my bed and take off my shoes and pants. I reach into my drawer and feel something cold graze my finger. I gasp and everything flashes in front of my eyes:

I see a middle-aged woman running with a baby in her arms. Based off the way she's dressed, this is not the current time. She runs through a dark forest, clutching the shrieking baby in her arms. She stops and looks about. She kneels down and places the child on the ground. She takes something from around her neck. It's the same necklace I have. She places it on the child. The dark clouds, above, part and reveal a full moon. The lady looks up and her eyes glow a bright red. The eyes of an Alpha. The last True Alpha.

I snap back and I'm in my room again. I start gasping and sweating. Scott comes running in. "Are you okay?"

I just nod. "I, um, thought I saw a rat or something. I'm just tired."

I can see he doesn't believe me but he doesn't question me any farther. I get in bed and try to move on from the flashback...

I'm in an empty room. It's white and dimly lit by a ceiling light. The room becomes a glass box all of a sudden. It's just the right size to fit me in it. I start to wheeze. I hate tight spaces. I'm claustrophobic. I push on the glass but nothing happens. 'Derek.' I say it in my mind but he appears in front of the glass. He has tears at the bridge of his eyes. Two bandaged hands appear from behind him. The hand grips Derek's neck and snaps it.

I start to scream and bang against the glass.

I snap awake screaming at the top of my lungs. A warm hand covers my mouth and another wraps around my waist. I'm still screaming but it's muffled by the hand.

My mom and Scott are holding me down. "Scarlett, calm down. It was just a dream," Scott whispers. "Sssssshhhhh."

I stop screaming and let my mom cradle me in her arms on the floor. I can't lose Derek. He hasn't called me or text me after he left. I only dread the worse happened. The next morning, I'm in the bathroom preparing for school. I glance over at my shadow and I see my claws. I look at my hands but they're normal. I look back at my shadow. I ball up my fist and release. My shadow goes back to normal. I go back to my room to grab my book bag and motorcycle keys. Scott looks at me with a worried expression. "Are you okay, Scar?" he asks.

I nod. "Last night was just a nightmare. Everyone has them."

"Not like that."

I then think of Lydia. She's learned she's a banshee and she's been trying her hardest to learn how to control what she can do. So far, zero success. "How does this look?"