23

Although I try not to my mind flits to Ash. I wonder how he's been getting on. He's still alive but that's all I know. What I wouldn't give for a conversation with him. Well alongside a hug and maybe... No. I can't. I shake Fawn awake unable to stay awake torturing myself any longer.

I sleep through to the morning, which is a first in the arena. I must have been in here... well a week I think. Maybe even longer. Time has a different meaning here. I feel better rested than I have in days. We finish off the oysters for breakfast.

"We'll do some fishing today." I say.

"We can just watch." Kendith says. I laugh sarcastically.

"You're very much going to help." Lazy. I see something flash across his eyes. Annoyance. I laugh again. He clearly had an easier life before I turned up.

"How much did you actually eat before I arrived?" I asked

"Not much." Fawn says.

"But I can't swim." Kendith says.

"I'll teach you." His face lights up. Although he didn't like the idea of work the idea of swimming appeals to him. I guess its fun. The bandage should hold and I don't think it will be that much of a strain on his leg.

"If you can't swim how you did get all the way out here?" I ask suddenly curious.

"The orange parts help us to float. We drifted on some currents and we kicked our legs. I think we propelled ourselves. I don't think we're that far from the cornucopia." Fawn says.

I go over it in my head. I swam far away from the cornucopia but I could have easily swam back towards it in the storm. I walk over to Fawn and rip out the orange strips before she can flinch. I then do the same to Kendith who watched in a state of shock.

"What was that for?" He shouted.

"If you want to learn you're learning properly." I then push him backwards with some force. He topples through the grass and falls into the water with a splash. I quickly follow and I jumped in next to him.

He splutters to the surface. "Kick your legs in a circular motion." He goes under but then comes back. I assume he is doing it as he now keeps his head above the water. I show him the basic front crawl stroke and get him to practice going back and forth. To begin with he keeps his head above water but after a while he gains the confidence to put his head under. He's a natural. If he was born in a different district, hell he could have even taken on Finnick.

Fawn still hasn't touched the water but sits on the side smiling. I go and join her. "Why aren't you getting in?"

"You were helping Kendith. It was quite funny." She gave a small smile.

"Well I can help you now." She gives a small shake of her head.

"I'm ok."

"It could save your life, you know." She looks away. "If you don't come voluntary I will have to force you. You swam this far, I can help you make it even further." She stands up and jumps in the water. I smile.

By the end of the day both of my allies can swim. They are not the best by a long way but I'm sure this will give them a chance at survival. I managed to do some fishing whilst teaching them and now we gorge ourselves. I smile to myself. Today it hasn't felt like I'm in the arena. It's been fun. I sigh. It's got to end somewhere right? I hold onto my happiness.

When I wake up for my watch I can sense somethings wrong. Call it instinct. I slowly stand up and walk over to the long grasses and pear through. Nothing. As I turn to go away I see something out of the corner of my eye.

I gasp. It's a boat. And there's only one group of people who I know that owns a boat. The careers.