34 | So much for exciting.

Jack had never been happier to return to a stuffy, posh party before in his life. Sweet Merlin. The entire walk around the manor, Weasley chatted about everything and anything. At least Jack answered him every once in a while. Sharp didn't even open his damn mouth.

If this was how he was going to behave, Jack would be biting at the bit to get back home. That bastard President. He knew Jack would never go against his orders. How could he be so stupid to forget the man was a Legilimens?

"You two go in and report back to Harry. This didn't take too long," Weasley said, rubbing his chin. "I'll do another lap." And off he went.

Jack chanced a glance at the man next to him. Completely transfigured, he didn't look a thing like himself which was a damn shame. The man was just sex-on-a-broomstick. And that tattoo. Merlin's Beard.

And then Sharp left his side walking into the ballroom without a backward glance.

Well, shit.

Attitude definitely ruined sexiness.

But he knew that this wasn't like Sharp at all. What did it matter that he only knew him for a little while? When you knew someone, you knew them. At least enough. And he knew Sharp. He just didn't know what his deal was right now.

He closed his eyes, covered his face with his hands and groaned.

God, give him patience. He could figure this out before he was back in New York. He could do it.

When he walked into the room, Sharp was nowhere to be seen. Jack bit his tongue to keep from cursing and started searching for the man. Maybe he would be by Potter. Best to find the man first.

He spotted Sharp first after walking around for a good fifteen minutes. When he stopped beside him, Sharp didn't even move. He watched a couple off to the side. Jack followed his gaze. It was Potter talking to a stunning redhead.

"Who is that?" Jack asked. While the woman was beautiful, the most interesting part was Potter. His body was stiff with some sort of emotion. Anger? But most of the feelings coming off of them were anything but platonic.

Sharp's head shot in his direction. "What?"

Jack scratched his chin. "Wait, weren't you guys saying he was involved with Weasley's sister? That's her?" He nodded. He could understand breaking the bro code for her.

"Are you checking her out?" Sharp snapped.

Jack blinked. "What? No."

"Un-bloody-believable," Sharp muttered, shaking his head.

"What's your-"

"That can't be good."

Jack looked too. Potter was alone again, but his gaze was caught on a door a few feet away. "Oh man. That sucks. Do you think we should-" He stopped when he turned and Sharp was gone. "Seriously?" he hissed, turning to look for the man again. What was his deal?

He took a deep breath then shook his head. He best go find Potter and report. Sharp could wait.

Jack left out that side door where Potter and the Weasley woman had been standing close by to. He looked down both ends of the hallway as he pulled on his collar. God, this thing was a menace. He couldn't wait to be off-duty and put on some jeans and a t-shirt. All this business attire was so damn uncomfortable.

No sign of Potter or anyone for that matter. He must be on servants section of the Manor. He grimaced. Damn, rich, old families. He shook his head and loosened his bowtie a little. He exhaled.

A woman in a dark green gown walked down the end of the hallway. She glanced around her then turned around a corner. Jack frowned.

Okay, so that was weird.

Maybe they had the wrong idea all along. He rubbed his chin. Maybe Fyrefox wasn't a man at all. Maybe it was a woman? His heart sped up as the speed of the chase kicked in. Was this the thief?

He grinned and started down the end of the hallway. If he could just see where she was going, he could get some backup.

Man, this was crazy exciting. Protecting the president didn't bring this kind of rush, that was for sure. Except when shit went wrong, and then, well, it wasn't fun anyway.

Jack reached the end of the hallway and leaned back against the wall.

"Watch the paint, son!"

He jumped forward in surprise and turned to an enormous painting of some guy on a fancy armchair with dark drapes behind him and stuffy clothes. "Sorry." He drew close to the wall again but didn't touch it. He looked around the corner then walked out, frowning.

It was a dead-end, and it was empty. There were no doors, just the end of a hallway. "What?" He turned around but there was no continued path across the hallway. Just this end. "That's weird," he muttered to himself.

Well, so much for exciting. He was seeing ghosts. That had to be it. This was an old house or Manor or whatever these places were called. He was sure people had died here.

He turned and started back towards the hallway when a gust of wind reached his ears. His forehead furrowed as he turned and a spell hit him right in the side.

The world went black.

*

Well, damn! What kind of trouble has Jack gotten himself into! O.o Thoughts, thoughts? More in a few days. I've got a couple other stories I'm working on on my other account. Lots of writing getting done, that's for sure. Also working on Camp NaNoWriMo. Yikes! Anyway, as always, thank you so much for all of your support and patience and love for me and my little story. It means a lot to me.

Also, remember to stay safe and healthy and kind in this crazy time!