Day 6

A piercing scream echoed through the house.

"DAMON! OH MY GOD! DAMON GET DOWN HERE!" Damon heard Elena's cry from upstairs and his blood ran cold. His first instinct was to vamp speed down to her and rip the throat out of whatever was making her scream like that, but obviously that was no longer an option. Instead, he rushed to the bed and grabbed the sword he had hidden beneath it for emergency situations, before running downstairs, ready to protect the love of his life. Elena turned around and shrieked as she saw him standing there, sword raised above his head.

"What's going on, who's hurting you?" he demanded, looking around the parlor frantically for any threat or intruder. Realization set in Elena's eyes and she started laughing.

"Oh, Damon, baby no...Nobody's hurting me. I'm sorry, I should've just walked up and gotten you," she said, stepping closer and slowly pulling his arm down, before really noticing the weapon, "Where on earth did you get a freaking sword?"

"Oh, uhm... it's just one I had," he said, putting it down on the table, "So, what's the matter? Why did you scream for me?" he asked, still glancing around as if to be sure there was no immediate danger.

"Sorry again. It was actually for a good thing!" Elena said, grabbing his arm and dragging him with her to the windows, "I was just so surprised when I saw it...Look! It's snowing!" she pointed to the window, almost jumping up and down from glee.

"Oh yeah, would you look at that! It sure is," Damon said, fully relaxing now as he put his arm around her, "You don't see that very often here."

"This is amazing! Damon, we have to go outside!!," Elena said, running to grab her jacket, "We can make snowmen, and snow angels, and-"
"And get pneumonia because it's freezing and we're human now?" Damon offered, only half joking, and Elena glared at him, before tossing him his coat as well.

"We won't be out that long, so we won't get sick. It'll be fun!" She went back over to pull on his hand, "Come on Damon!"

As she tugged him toward the foyer, they passed the weapon he had discarded and she arched her brow, "And don't think I've forgotten about the sword. We're gonna have to talk about that later." Damon chuckled as she let go of his hand to grab their shoes, then glanced out the far window

"Elena, it's barely sticking to the ground. You do know there's no way we're going to make snowmen from that," Damon reasoned, not wanting her to feel too disappointed..

"We'll figure something out. When there's a will, there's a way!!" Elena said, "Now, come on!". They both put on their shoes and went outside. As soon as they stepped out from under the cover of the front door, little white flurries landed in Elena's hair. She turned her nose upwards and stuck out her tongue, more flakes landing on it and melting instantly. She was completely captivated by the snow, and Damon was completely captivated by her. It was enough, for a moment, just to watch her enjoying the weather, but soon Elena reached a hand out to him, and Damon joined her, tilting his head back the same as she had, and opened his mouth.. The feeling of the small flakes landing and melting was nicer than he had thought, and the years seemed to melt away. He felt like a child again, easily mesmerized by the simplest of things.

"Hey, I have an idea!" Elena said, pulling him back to the present as she ran over to their cars. A layer of snow had fallen on them, and she gathered up as much as she could, shaping it into a rather small snowball that she threw at him. It hit him right in the chest, but broke apart easily.

"Oh, so that's the way we're playing?" he laughed, jogging to the grass and gathering up the limited amount of snow that had fallen there. Elena realized what he was doing and shrieked as she tried to escape him. He caught up to her and smashed it on the top of her hair, drenching it.

"Oh my God, you did not just do that!" she gasped, "Damon there was dirt in that!. He laughed and ran away from her, as she made a new snowball.

***

After their little match, which didn't last very long, thanks to their quickly depleted resources, , Elena and Damon decided they'd save the last of it to make a snowman. There was a small grassy area that still had some snow left, so together, they rolled up three mini sized snowballs and found some twigs to make a snowman with. He was only a few inches tall, but still, it was their first snowman. Elena and Damon sat in the grass together, soaked to the core, but still staying out and enjoying the snow.

"Frosty's a lot smaller than I remember," Damon said, putting his arm around her as they looked at their little tiny snowman.

"I don't care. It's perfect," she rested her head on Damon's shoulder, cuddling close to him. He smiled and kissed her hair, "Yeah...it really is."