Chapter V. Late-night... date!?

Your P.O.V

          Clarissa Vernon. Hm... It has a nice ring to it. It's a beatiful name. Heh. A beautiful name for an even more beautiful girl. I slightly smiled as my mind repeated it a couple of times. Silly me.

          After we got out of the store, we began walking down the sidewalk, side by side, in silence; the only thing that could be heard was mine and Clarissa's sound of footsteps echoing against the concrete and the occasional shuffling of the massive plastic bags I carried in both of my hands.

          When I left my apartment, the sun was just beginning to set. Now, it was completely dark outside. The dark blue veil of the cool night has casted upon Earth and the only thing that illuminated our surroundings were the pale halogen streetlights. By this point, there were no more pass-byers, and as I glanced in front of me, we seemed to be the only two people that would be out at such a late hour. Is it even that late!? I haven't check the time once since I left my flat.

          I take out my phone to check the time and I just couldn't believe it. My phone screen read 21:25. I had to take a double look at it, since I thought I had read it wrong the first time, but it wasn't the case. I didn't even realise when it had gotten so late. The crappy device also displayed a few missed calls from my mom and texts from BF/N, but I would take care of that later. Or tomorrow. BF/N can wait. Besides, I don't feel like dealing with the shit of that psychotic bitch either. BF/N that is...

          - It's something wrong? the girl asked.

          - Just checking the time, came my response which earn a light chuckle from my right. This reaction of hers left me confused and a bit dumbfounded. Was she laughing at me...?

          After a while, the soft giggles flowing past her lips had ceased and she just looked at me, a large smile still grazing her features.

          - Well, if that's the case, it took you long enough, didn't it? she questioned and I knew she didn't bought my innocent white lie.

          And, just as if she could read my mind, she went on:

          - You don't know how to lie. At all, she 'accused', though the corners of her lips were given way for a smirk to form.

           Was this an insult or a compliment?

           I opened my mouth to say something, but she cut me off before I even started:

          - It was clearly a text from your girlfriend. That's why you became all red in the face. Now, was it?

           It was what!?

          At the moment, I was too taken aback and embarrassed to look at her. I just kept pondering in my head if she was just joking with the last statement or she was talking seriously. Why would she care if I have a girlfriend or not? But it wasn't until I finished asking myself that, that the answer hit me in the face.

          'Oh, God... Are you that stupid? Can't you see she's just laughing at you? Do you really think you look like the kind of guy to have a girlfriend, with that face of yours? Keep telling yourself that, Y/N...'

          - W-What? What do you mean? I stammerd quietly, still unsure about what's she inquiring - and confused by my own negative thoughts - and wait for her answer. I was also trying to avoid the question, hoping she would give up or change the topic.

          - Aw, look at you... Turning all red and flustered, she teased further ahead, as if she didn't got the answer out of my pathetic reaction. What's the matter, Y/N? she said, a playful tone lacing her words.