10 KIRRIN ISLAND ONCE MORE!

THEY all clambered into the boat. Timothy leapt in lightly and ran to the prow, where he always stood. His tongue hung out in excitement. He knew quite well that something was up; and he was in it! No wonder he panted and wagged his tail hard.

"Off we go!" said Julian, taking the oars. "Sit over there a bit, Anne. The luggage is weighing "down the boat awfully the other end. Dick, sit by Anne to keep the balance better. That's right. Off we go!"

And off they went in George's boat, rocking up and down on the waves. The sea was fairly calm, but a good breeze blew through their hair. The water splashed round the boat and made a nice gurgly, friendly noise. The children all felt very happy. They were on their own. They were escaping from the horrid Sticks. They were going to stay on Kirrin Island, with the rabbits and gulls and jackdaws.

"Doesn't that new-made bread smell awfully good?" said Dick, feeling very hungry as usual. "Can we just grab a bit, do you think?"

"Yes, let's," said George. So they broke off bits of the warm brown crust, handed some to Julian, who was rowing, and chewed the delicious new-made bread. Timmy got a bit too, but his was gone as soon as it went into his mouth.

"Timmy's funny," said Anne. "He never eats his food as we do... he seems to drink it... just takes it into his mouth and swallows it, as if it was water!"

The others laughed. "He doesn't drink his bones." said George. "He always eats those all right, chews on them for hours and hours. Don't you, Timothy?"

"Woof!" said Timmy, agreeing. He eyed the place where that enormous bone was, wishing he could have it now. But the children wouldn't let him. They were afraid it might go overboard, and that would be a pity.

"I don't believe anyone has noticed us going," said Julian. "Except Alf the fisher-boy, of course. We told him about going to the island, Dick, but nobody else."

They had called at Alf's house on their way to the cove. Alf was alone in the yard at the back.: His mother was away and his father was out fishing. They had told him their secret, and Alf had nodded his tousled head and promised faithfully to tell nobody at all. He was evidently very proud at being trusted.

"If my mother and father come back, you must let us know," said George. "Sail as near the island as you dare, and hail us. You can get nearer to it than anyone else."

"I'll do that," promised Alf, wishing he could go with them.

"So, you see, Dick," said Julian, as he rowed out to the island, "if by any chance Aunt Fanny does return sooner than we expect, we shall know at once and come back. I think we've planned everything very well."

"Yes, we have," said Dick. He turned and faced the island, which was coming nearer. "We shall soon be there. Isn't George going to take the oars and guide the boat in?"

"Yes," said George. "We've come to the difficult bit now, where we've got to weave our way in and out of the different rocks that keep sticking up. Give me the oars, Ju."

She took the oars, and the others watched in admiration as the girl guided the big boat skillfully in and out of the hidden rocks. She certainly was very clever. They felt perfectly safe with her.

The boat slid into the little cove. It was a natural harbour, with the water running up to a stretch of sand. High rocks sheltered it. The children jumped out eagerly, and four pairs of willing hands tugged the boat quickly up the sand. .

"Higher up still," panted George. "You know what awful storms suddenly blow up in this bay. We want to be sure the boat is quite safe, no matter how high the seas run."