Chapter 28

Here's the next chapter of White Sheep, and I hope you enjoy.

Beta: College Fool

Cover Art: Kegi Springfield

Chapter 28 - Little bo Peep

Jaune wasn't sure why he was in the doghouse, only that he was.

He had enough experience with his sisters to notice it. They ran the whole range of annoyed from Lavender's subtle cold shoulder, to Jade and Hazel's blatant glares – right through to Cinder, who could flit from cold to on fire at a whim, and who he really didn't want to annoy any more than he had to.

Compared to them, his team and Yang weren't so bad – and it was definitely only them he'd been thrown in the kennel over. Nora, Ren and Blake were as friendly as ever, which was to say very, partially, and not at all – in that order. Well, at least it was more indifference with Blake, as opposed to the irritated look Weiss shot him.

It had started when they woke up that morning, but had probably been caused before. Everyone had been in a bad mood after the White Fang mission, even if it had gone well. Ruby was aghast at fighting the police, while Weiss was annoyed at that and something else. Even Pyrrha, as nice as she always was, looked little fatigued with what had gone on.

It wasn't like he didn't feel the same. He knew he was naïve, but even he knew that coming to Beacon to save and help people was somewhat incompatible with defending a terrorist organisation against police officers just doing their job.

His attempts to cheer them up hadn't exactly gone to plan, and had instead earned their ire. To be fair, Remy had warned him against it. When someone was in a bad mood, sometimes the only thing you could do was not draw their attention onto you.

Jaune had decided to be stupid and ignore that.

He should have known better, really.

"Hey," he whispered, sidling over to sit by Ren.

"Hello, Jaune." Ren looked at him and smiled. "They're still in a bad mood?"

"See for yourself," Jaune said, indicating his team, sat in the library with Team RYBN. The four of them were playing Remnant once more, but this time he'd decided not to get involved – mostly because they'd likely throw everything they had at him. If he lost, they'd rub it in. If he won...?

Salem forbid... they'd never forgive him.

"I just don't see why it's all aimed at me," he groaned. "Yang was the one who brought the roof down on the police, and it was Blake's fault we went out and hunted the White Fang in the first place."

"I don't think it's entirely about that. If it were so, then I'd be getting the same treatment." Ren looked to him and smiled sympathetically. "I believe they're upset at the things that were... implied last night."

"Implied? What things?"

Ren chuckled and turned a page in his book. "I imagine it was about them all being your girlfriends. That, or them being a part of your harem."

"No woman wants to imagine being like that," Blake added, listening in. "I know it was for the disguise, and I'm sure they did, too. That won't stop them feeling embarrassed, however."

"And that's my fault?"

"No, but you're part of the problem." She looked up, and her amber eyes, while not sympathetic, weren't cruel either. "You'll notice they're not actively blaming you for anything. They're simply in a bad mood."