Chapter 2

"Whatever you do, you stay close to me, alright?" My dad told me with a worried glisten in his eyes.

"Always." I said, clicking the safety off of my gun.

With our backpacks on our shoulders, we fled the abandoned streets, because one thing was certain; places didn't stay abandoned for too long.

We kept to the shadows, trying to keep quiet, but the contents of our backpacks jiggled to the speed of our feet.

Then I stopped.

"Dad," I begin with uncertainty scraping my tongue. "Can you hear something?" I hoped it was my paranoia, but he replied with just a single touch of my arm to hold me back. He tilted his head slightly to focus his hearing. "Dad?" I questioned again.

As both of our heads turned, we heard moans and yelling coming closer from the distance. I gasped in dread.

"Shit," He quickly responded. "They caught up to us." Grabbing hold on my wrist, my dad pulled me quicker than my feet could go. "Don't look back!"

The infected were getting closer- they could hear us, smell us. They came at us, with their screeching and groaning bellowing down our ears.

"Where are we going to go?" I asked over my panting breaths.

"Err," I could see his eyes darting, desperately searching for a path to safety. "Come on, this way!"

We kept running straight, but there were too many. We weren't going to get away.

My father turned to me, and passed me his backpack. "Go," He said, pushing me lightly for me to move. "Go, I'll catch up to you! You can outrun them while I take them out!" He pulled the strap of his hunting rifle off of his shoulder, throwing it into his hands. "Don't look back! Go! Just run!"

I suddenly awoke with heavy pants. I clenched hard at the gun that rested on my stomach, and held it tighter for comfort, then ran my fingers over the initials 'D.M' carved into the handle.

Lifting my body from the ground, I looked around- the fire was out, and the sun beamed through the holey curtains. A faint groan could be heard from outside the window, so I knew I needed to be on my way before anymore infected joined me.

My destination wasn't very clear. I didn't really know where I wanted to be- just far away from those distant memories.