Chapter 1

"Ava!"

It is the first time that I've heard my father shouted like this. A shout full of anger.

"Ava!"

Another one followed.

As much as I want to reply, I just can't. Numbness overwhelms me and I can't even open my eyes.

"Ava!"

This time it's from my grandfather.

No matter how hard I try, I just can't move. My brain won't cooperate as of the moment.

Now I'm hearing loud sobs. Am I dead?

I'm getting frustrated of the situation, I mean, I can still think, but why can't I move. And though I've exerted effort in opening my eyes, all my attempts failed.

"Don't touch things. . .I'll handle this."

I'm pretty sure that's Uncle Stan's voice that I've just heard.

"She's breathing. . . I can hear her pulse." He declared as he held my hand.

So I'm still alive then.

I felt dizzy and as if the darkness is swirling around me. My head is pounding and I can feel an excruciating pain all over my body. I tried to breathe harder and there I saw the ceiling right before my eyes.

I blinked a few more times and adjusted my eyes to the light. I turned to my side and saw Uncle Stan looking at me with horror and sadness at the same time. I was about to talk but my aching throat won't allow me to.