4: FOUR

It was raining

It was raining. She could tell by the sound against her roof. Tala whined by her legs as she washed the dishes. "Someone's hungry." Tala howled. Laughing, Marisol found her way to the cabinet to pour some dog food out. She washed her hands after feeding Tala and finishing her dishes. She could hear the sound of a car door slamming shut, so she turned around, knowing someone would knock soon.

When she heard, she grabbed her purse and made her way to the door. She smiled, hearing his usual greeting.

"Marisol."

She gasped as his wet hand grabbed hers to put an umbrella in it. She walked out onto the porch, locking her door before he led her to the car. She got in before he did so he could close it. "I wanted to ask another question."

"Shoot."

"Do you believe in soul mates?"

She hummed. "I think every person has someone made for them, but the likelihood of ever meeting is so low that we all just...settle."

"If soulmates did exist, and you had one, would you still be a surrogate?"

She nodded. "Probably. I want to give you what you so desire. I want to make you happy."

"So even if we didn't go through with this today, you'd still be a surrogate for someone else?"

She couldn't help but hear some type of sadness in his voice. She nodded.

As the car came to a stop, he helped her out, once again holding the umbrella with her as they made their way into the building. He led her to a chair where he told her to sit as he signed them in. She listened, cocking her head say she listened to the TV. Something fell on her feet, and she raised an eyebrow.

"I'm so sorry. He can't see well."

Marisol realized then that it was a loving mother. She picked up the little boy. "It's alright. I can't see well either."

"You can't?" Marisol nodded at the juvenile voice. It was the boy talking.

"I use a cane to find my way around or a giant dog that becomes my eyes."

"That's so cool!"

Marisol chuckled.

"My doctor says that I have to wear these big glasses to help my eyes, but they are so ugly!"

"I think they'd look cool."

"You do?"

The mother smiled, chuckling. "It looks like someone has a crush."

As Grey came back, he sat next to Marisol. The mother smiled, leading her child away. Marisol looked up as someone called Grey's name. He stood up, taking her hand, leading her where she presumed to be the exam room.

Apparently she was wrong because she sat down on another chair. Feeling in front of her she could feel a big desk. She could hear someone come and sit down, shaking Grey's hand and saying hello to Marisol.