Among the Dead

The phone rings, waking me up from my deep, dreamless sleep.“Hello?” I ask. “Your sister is dead, I didn’t know who else to call since you’re a professional.” Jacob, my coworker, says sadly. I get up quickly and hang up the phone. It is six a.m. and my sister is dead, my sweet sister. I have to go check out the crime scene, since it’s my job. I get out of bed and walk over to where my clothes are folded neatly on a chair. I put on my clothes and brush my teeth. I put my hair up in a pony tail and grab my keys. As I walk out and shut the door, I can’t stop thinking about my sister. How could this even happen?

            As I drive to my sister’s house I think about how close we were growing up, after all we were twins. The only difference between us was that I have darker hair, I’m paler than she is, I’m more fit, and I have blue eyes. My sister was always the prettier one with her golden tan, green eyes, and sandy blonde hair. She was so out there, a cheerleader even. I just can’t believe that she’s dead. She didn’t have enemies, everyone loved her. It feels so awful losing my twin.

                                                ---------------------------------------

            Finally, after what seemed to be an eternity, I arrive. Her house looks very decorative on the outside. Those trick-or-treaters must have been happy to come here because it looks like an actual graveyard. To be honest, I’m scared. I’m so scared of what’s inside. Will I be seeing my sister, dead?

            I open the door slowly and immediately drop to my knees, bawling like there’s no tomorrow. I swear quietly and get back up. “Hold yourself together, this isn’t the worst part,” I say to myself.  I need to continue this investigation.. I walk into the living room and the first thing I see are broken wine bottles. I cover my mouth and stare at the wall. Written on the wall is Kyle’s name, my sister’s fiancé, with blood. Oh my god!

            I walk further into the living room and see a broken picture frame of my best friend Nancy on the floor. There is so much blood splattered on the couch and wall. It looks like a warzone. I search the couch a little and what I find isn’t surprising, a gun under the couch. That idiot must have used a gun on my sister, but why? They were deeply in love.

            I walk into the kitchen only to find blood splattered everywhere. Her home phone has a hand print of blood on it. I pick up the phone and hear nothing. The line must have been cut off last night. Kyle must have had everything ready for last night, Halloween. I can’t imagine what her death must have been like.. I wonder why he did it. Oh my god! He must have found out that she cheated on him! He was probably pissed, but killing her is going way too far.

            Thump! Thump! I hear a noise upstairs. I pull out the gun I keep on my belt and walk up the stairs slowly. I keep hearing the noise and hold onto the railing. That noise is driving me crazy! I start walking again and walk into her room because that’s where the noise seems to be coming from. I look at the window and examine it. The window is open and is making that horrible sound. At least I know there’s nothing to worry about.

            OW! I trip over bloody clothes and fall backwards near my sister’s bathroom. I get up and look at the door. For some reason, I feel like I’ve been here before, I get up and open the bathroom door slowly. I wave my hand in front of my face once inside and sigh. It’s too dark, I can’t even see my own hand. I reach for the light switch and turn it on. I slip on something sticky all over the floor. I start screaming while sliding backwards, towards the tub. Blood!

            I look behind me and start gagging, crawling away from the tub as fast as I can. I cover my mouth and stare at my sister’s lifeless eyes. I get up and walk over to the tub and look at her bruised face. She has bloody hearts outlined on her cheeks and something floating in the water, I couldn’t describe it, but then I realized they were her insides. I start crying and take a few deep breaths. I wish this would’ve been me, not her.