Fourty-two.

HEY GUYS! I would highly recommend listening to this piece of art by John Williams while you read (ignoring Darth Vader and Luke, of course). It's almost parallels between this book and Star Wars (I'm not going to spoil much, HAHA). Family issues, amirite? It's called "Jedi Fury", and it perfectly captures the tension that happens in this scene.

(P.S. - You might want to put it on repeat. This chapter gets very long and emotional.)

ALSO GEORGE LUCAS WAS LIKE "ALRIGHT JOHN, GO HAM ON THIS MF," AND HE REALLY DID LIKE WOW I GOT CHILLS THE FIRST TIME I HEARD THIS SONG.

Anyways, have a good day/night everyone! <3

_________

MARA

As Hudson opens the double doors, immediately a cold draft hits our faces, making us both shiver.

My eyes look around the room, inspecting Red's lair but found... absolutely nothing. Did King Red runaway in fear? Was he hiding?

"Red, come out and fight us!" Hudson shouts, his deep voice echoing off the large corridors of the eerie room. I could sense Hudson clench his sword in anger. He wanted blood from Red, and it was long overdue.

The lights were completely shut off. The only thing that allowed us to see were the faint sun rays coming in through the glass panes on the ceiling. It gave the room an abandoned-type feel as I shivered from the cold.

The faint shots of gunfire could be heard in the distance as Rebel soldiers were occupied with taking over Plague control of the Capitol. They still had a lot of rooms to cover.

With my sharp hearing, I could've sworn I heard someone take a footstep that wasn't ours. Was this a setup?

"We shouldn't be here..." I whisper, my eyes foggy as I look down in concern. There was a gut feeling within me, even a sharp pain as if something wasn't going to go right.

Hudson places a hand on my shoulder, trying to bring comfort to me. "Mara, what's wrong? Are you—"

I was cut off, as a deep chuckle rang through my ears and echoed through the hallway behind us. It was sinister, yet only wanted to make me slice off the damn bastard's head more.

"Commander G-R72," Red mumbles from an unknown location. It was impossible to tell where he was at the moment. "I see you've finally come home after your two-week vacation."

King Red's voice sounded hoarse, but excited. Most likely because two mutants were standing before his throne like his next prize.

"My name is Hudson," He growls, standing his ground. "And your days on the throne are long over, Red."

Red's figure finally came into view as he took slow yet menacing steps from behind his massive throne. And boy, had I expected King Red to look entirely different from what I imagined. His eyes were weary from age, as his awful days were finally coming to an end. The wrinkles on his face had become so defined, you could've mistaken him for an 80 year-old man. Maybe he really was that old.

He sits down on his throne, taking a close look at us. "Well well well," Red smirks, as a chuckle escapes his lips. "If it isn't Mara Winters. The girl who dared play hide and seek with the Plague."

Red's laugh triggered a coughing fit deep in him. He was dying. I could sense it with my ability. His lungs were collapsing and it would only be a matter of weeks before he would take his last breath.