bet

|austin|

     “I bet you my whole shoe collection you can’t get Madison Hutson to fall in love with you by the end of the year,” I hear Robert chime as he catches Zach staring at her ass. I have to cringe at the fact they were placing bets on Madison. Madison is more then some bet. She’s so much more; I can guarantee it.

     “I bet you I could, I mean look at me,” Zach retorts, smirking at Robert. I zone out this conversation though, just watching as Madison waits in the line to her food. I have to admit her ass really does look good in her high waisted jeans. It makes me lick my lips which is totally wrong of me to check out a girl. But Madison’s hot.

      Madison could’ve been mine, but she is scared. She’s scared to open up, and Zach had no chance. Zach is going to lose his bet so easily because Madison is tough to crack. I didn’t even get to crack her.

     “Austin, you wanna join the bet?” Robert speaks. Alex nudges me soon after to get my attention. I look back over too and directly at Robert to check to see if he is joking. He seriously wants me to join in some bet that involves Madison.

     “Don’t be a pussy!” Zach chimes in, a smirk on his lips. I know if I say I won’t join in the bet they’ll make fun of me for being a little bitch. Alex knows that too because he had joined in on the bet, knowing I had a certain attraction towards Madison.

     “I’m in.

     Lunch ended and soon the whole school day was over. I head out immediately, wanting to get away from this hell hole. I make my way over to my car, noticing a frustrated Madison next to it which leaves me in confusion. She’s pacing back and forth as if waiting for to arrive.

     When her eyes land on me, she has to sigh but she waves me over. I couldn’t resist so I jog to her, seeing a certain frustration in her eyes.

     “What’s wrong?” I blurt out.

     “Can you drive me to pick up Sabrina? My car won’t start and I really need-”

     “Just get in the car, Madison.

     The car ride is pretty silent. Neither one of us dare to speak because I wanted to stay true to my promise to Madison. She told me to stay away so I had. I backed off, and she came to me. She needed my help, and after her threatening me I still help her.

     When we arrive, Madison tells me to wait here before rushing out to go get her sister. Madison is late picking her up since she usually ditches last period to pick her up. So I sit in the car, just thinking. I lean back in my seat, shutting my eyes, wanting to clear my head for a few minutes.

     The only thing on my mind is Madison though. It’s always Madison. If I see some shoes I like I wonder if Madison would like them. When I’m in the shower I wonder if Madison takes long or short showers, or if she sings in the shower. Does Madison even like to sing? She probably has a beautiful voice too. Madison is the definition of perfect in my eyes.

     My eyes trail to the outside, scanning over the blue sky that makes me miss her beautiful blue eyes. They look so cold, when underneath they are really just lost. But she’s caring. She’s sweet. She’ll do anything for the people she loves, including ruining her dignity by asking me for a ride to pick up her sister. We all know Madison would’ve kept ignoring me if it wasn’t for her car that wouldn’t start.

     If I could I’d make that car my best friend.

     Without realizing it, Madison had helped Sabrina into the back seat of my car and hopped in front to shot gun. I avert my gaze over to Madison, who gestures towards my keys basically telling me to hurry up. She wants to tell me I’m an idiot for not starting the car up; but Madison never seems to get mad when Sabrina is around.

     “Hi Austin,” I hear Sabrina squeak from the back of the seat. The sound of Sabrina’s voice automatically makes me smile because it’s so soft and loving, unlike Madison’s. Madison is always coming off rude, and bitchy, but I know Madison means well. Sabrina is the opposite of her sister though. She’s so young and innocent in the world to think much of the bad things in it.

     “Hi cutie,” I tease, backing up out of my spot. My nickname for her makes her let out a cute giggle. It catches me by surprise too, but I smile wide. I have always wanted a sister in all honestly. I love kids. I would’ve loved to have a little sister or brother. I wouldn’t feel as lonely as I do.

     “Are you going to stay over? It gets pretty lonely when mommy isn’t home on the weekends. Madison tells me she’s working, but I sometimes wonder why mommy works over night,” I hear Sabrina voice. When I glance to Madison she’s just looking at the ground, not wanting to even enter in this conversation. She’s just going to let Sabrina reveal all her secrets.

     Sabrina is a lot smarter then most kids her age. From what Sabrina is telling me, I figure out their mom sleeps with men for money. She is basically a prostitute. She gets the money and wastes it on booze. That definitely makes my insides twist.

     “I’m staying the whole weekend actually,” I voice to Sabrina, glancing back at her and then to Madison. Madison tells me to stay away. She tells me to never come back, but I keep doing it. I keep running back and I know I should stop. I just can’t.

     When we arrive back at her house, I glance back at Sabrina after parking and notice she’s asleep. After that I glance to Madison, who just sighs. She looks to me too, her face not looking very happy.

     “I’m sorry, Mahone,” she lets out, and she continues, “I just… I’ve never had someone actually care and it was wrong of me to push you out. I just… I don’t know. You know so much about me, yet you keep coming back.” As she speaks, her voice becomes shaky as she holds back the tears just wanting to escape her beautiful blue eyes. She wouldn’t dare cry though, so I just pull her into my arms. I let her sit herself on my lap, and cuddle her head into the crook of my neck.

     I rub her back smoothly, not wanting to even see her cry. I know she won’t though. She’s too strong to show that kind of feeling. She doesn’t want to seem weak in front of me, but she’s opening up too.

     In this moment, I feel as if Madison isn’t really a mystery. She just wants to be heard.