Prologue

"Derek! Go around the back - now!"

      The seventeen year old followed the orders of his older sister, bolting around the lake house and swinging up on to the balconey. Landing in a crouch on the second floor porch, he quickly went through the locked door, tearing off the latch and throwing it down to the beach. 

      It was too late.

      She stood over his body, her hand shaking. Blue eyes like the sea met his, the blood on her hands dripping to the floor. "I-I don't, I-"

      Laura came upstairs, stopping as she saw all of the blood. Ignoring her brother, she automatically went to the girl. "Come on, let's get you washed up. Derek, bags, now."

      "What about Brett?"

      "Go get him. Just, be ready." Laura put her in the bathroom down the hall before catching Derek's attention from the man's body. "Focus, Der. Brett's across the street, I could hear him earlier. Bring him back here and keep him downstairs. He doesn't need to see this."

      "Why are we packing them bags?"

      "Because, they have to run." Laura grabbed the teen's shoulder, starting to push him towards the way she came in. "Now." Making sure her brother ran, she went into the back rooms and gathered a duffel bag for each of them. She took what seemed essential; including pulling all of the money from the tub in the girl's room that she'd earned from the diner.

      Laura knew she'd planned on taking Brett out of Rhode Island, but this may not have been what she intended to happen. Not exactly, at least.

      "Laura, it's not coming off."

      "Just come here. You need to change," Laura called, pulling out a new top, jeans and plaid shirt. 

      Walking to her room, she didn't question the orders. "Are you going to burn them?"

      "As soon as you and Brett get out of town, then I'll make sure you're not tied to this."

      "I killed him." She changed from the Black Sabbath shirt splattered with blood into the gray vneck handed to her. "He's dead."

      "It's not like he didn't deserve it," Laura assured, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear and channeling in on the twelve year old's curious voice followed by her brother's. "Shoes too," she noted to flecks of blood on the white chuck taylors. 

      "Where are we going?" She sat down on her bed, pulling off her prized sneakers and taking ahold of the bag packed for her by the eldest living Hale. Grabbing shoes from under her bed, she quickly laced them up, her fingers shaking lightly. 

      "That's up to you. Go somewhere safe and somewhere far away from here." Laura waited until she'd pulled on the worn leather jacket over the red flannel. "Is there anything else you want? You can't ever come back once you leave." 

      Her eyes flickered around her bedroom and quickly she stuck a few items from her childhood into her duffel. As her hand was grabbed by Laura, she followed her out into the hall and past the corpse of a man who deserved it.

      Suddenly, she didn't feel bad about it.

      "Brett, come here." Holding out her hand, the twelve year old with a mop of curly brown hair come over and took his sister's hand.

      "What's going on?" Brett blinked up at her, the innocence on his face making her feel guilty. He was too young for this.

      "We're leaving." She took the second bag from Laura and Derek grabbed it, putting it over his shoulder.