Chapter 19: Take Control

The world was dark when Abigail opened her eyes.

It was also stiflingly hot and…scratchy?

Tentatively, she lifted an arm. It was a strange sensation. As well as not being able to see, her whole body felt numb and lifeless; as though she had been injected with powerful sedatives.  She ran deadened fingers over her face, wincing at the slightly painful tingling, and, instead of the skin she’d been expecting, they met coarse wrappings.

Yelping in surprise, Abigail thrashed around ineffectually in a vain attempt to rip off whatever was covering her face. Moving, however, felt like swimming through a pit of thick tar and was physically taxing. Eventually, worn down by exertion, she gave up and sank back into the cocooning warmth surrounding her. Listening intently, Abigail could detect no sounds besides her own breathing and gradually slowing heartbeat. But it wasn’t a peaceful silence. Instead it weighed down heavily in a desperate bid to crush all sound and leave a deafening void in its place.

Maybe I’m dead and this is the afterlife.

No child, you are not dead.

The unexpected voice startled Abigail and made her gasp aloud, the harsh intake of air echoing loudly in the absence of sound. She strained her ears, but knew instinctively that the voice had no external source. It had come from inside her, crawling forth from the darkest corners of her mind.

I’m sorry, did I scare you?

The voice sniggered and Abigail was able to overcome her shock and form what she hoped was a suitably scathing response.

It takes a lot more than you to scare me.

It is not wise to bait me!

The sniggering tone had gone, replaced with a cold, icy venom. It provoked an icy cold shiver down Abigail’s spine and she instinctively knew not to provoke whatever it was. She was silent for several moments before replying, carefully choosing her words.

So…who are you?

You don’t remember me?

Abigail was about to reply with a negative, but quickly checked herself as the realisation hit her.

Yes. I do.

Then let me take control.

There was a deafening pause.

Ok…