Chapter 6 - Death Comes Swiftly

***ADVANCED CHAPTERS AVAILABLE ON INKITT. Right now (April 26, 2018), there are already 22 chapters up on Inkitt for FREE. I post chapters there as soon as I finish writing them. Sorry wasn't able to update last week! Was sooo busy with work and it was hard to find time to write. :(

Please read there if you want more chapters. Next update here on Wattpad will be on: May 3 (GMT + 8) ***

CHAPTER 6- DEATH COMES SWIFTLY

Entrance to the Underworld
The same day

-Aerith-

So this is what dying feels like.

I always thought I would have a peaceful death. One where I grow old and my friends and my children would be around me. Then, I'd smile as I close my eyes and sleep... and it would be for the last time.

But I never imagined this.

I was cold and thrashing, trying to fight for my life. Sheer terror engulfed me as I struggled to get air into my burning lungs. I managed to surface but for just a second. I tried moving my arms and my legs but it only resulted to me sinking faster.

I heard them too and they were laughing. They thought this was a game, some silly prank. But I could not tell them I was drowning. My throat wouldn't work. I couldn't even scream.

I managed to surface again and I badly needed to inhale air but all I managed was to choke down more water. I coughed and sputtered as the water invaded my lungs. I continued to thrash and cry for help but nobody heard me over the loud music.

The cheerleaders and the jocks' laughter was the last thing I heard.

And then time seemed to slow down as my lungs started to burn. My vision became blurry and spots started to dance before my eyes from the lack of oxygen.

My limbs were also getting weaker and weaker.

This was it.

I was truly dying.

Where was the part where my life was supposed to flash before my eyes? I waited for it but it did not come.

If I had one last wish before I left this world, it would be to have met him – the boy who haunted my dreams for as long as I could remember. I wish I could've seen him for real and maybe ran my fingers through his dark hair. I wish I could've looked into those hauntingly beautiful grey eyes of his and maybe touched his cheek to assure myself he was real this time and not a dream.

But it wasn't meant to be.

A few more seconds and I started shaking. The burning in my lungs continued but there was no hope of a relief.

Then it all stopped.

And then finally, that sense of peace, together with darkness, came as I closed my eyes.

-♔-

I thought the afterlife would be bright and peaceful.

I was also wrong about that.

When I opened my eyes, there was nothing but darkness. Also, I was so cold. My wet hair clung to my face and my clothes to my skin. I was still wearing that white dress I borrowed from Claudine earlier.

I saw a light ahead of me and quickly walked towards it. As I neared it, I saw more and more people – or should I say ghosts or spirits like me?

Several of these ghosts wore the same confused expression I did while others were crying. They were looking around them just like me and they were also headed towards that light. The closer we got, the more I saw them clearly: their skin looked gray and transparent. I looked at my own hands and they were the same! I could see the damp, rocky ground through my skin!