Chapter 27-Samuel-Continuity Error

--B.T.L.: Before the Launch

--Dura-Chamber Archive Scan * 083556

"---Error."

With that, Samuel had set the audio passkey.

He slid the oblong key from the clear lock. A brief mechanical whirring ensued. Small pistons slid into place. Samuel stepped back, ready for the next part when a particle wall descended, sealing the equipment from the rest of the crew.

"It's done," he said, handing Russ the physical key, an oblong pendant hanging from a silver necklace.

The key dangled from his closed fist. For a minute, he thought she wouldn't take it. Then she snatched it.

As she slipped the necklace over her head and tucked it in her coveralls, she remarked, "Glad you took my advice on the audio key."

Continuity error.

Originally, Samuel wanted to use the phrase:

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Russ hadn't liked it. Too long, hard to remember she insisted.

Ah, what did she know. She obviously lacked the dork-cred to understand the phase's D&D origin. Russ, a film-nerd, suggested continuity error.

"Ya know, 'cause we'll only have to say it when something's not quite right, not following the rest of the story."

Annoyed though he was, Samuel begrudgingly agreed. It was simpler, and fitting for a backup protocol.

As surreal as it had been to set up the program, it was even stranger knowing he had successfully convinced Control of its necessity.

Two previous and failed missions. It was hubris to think that it couldn't happen again. Given the lack of resources back on Earth, humanity couldn't afford for it to happen again.

The program would ensure their survival in the event Sanctus proved to be another dead-end.

"Let's hope we never have to say it."

Russ smiled grimly. "Thought you were a realist."

"I am," Samuel said, mildly offended.

"Then you know we'll probably have to."

He returned the smile, twice the grim. "I make hard decisions. That's why I'm here."

That made it sound like the only reason he had signed up was to enact the sacrificial backup protocol. Which was partly true. Samuel didn't trust anyone else to get it done.

"Yeah, me too," Russ said.

Down the hall, Tiptree lugged a suitcase behind her. Moving day for most primary and secondary crew.

Being second-in-command and Chief Science Officer, Samuel and Russ had moved onboard two days prior. Russ excused herself and met Tiptree to assist. It was a smart move, because it would draw Tiptree's attention from a classified zone, while also sparking her trust in the second-in-command.

Russ's demeanor forced Samuel to concede that Control gave her the second key for a reason. In most cases, the second key went to the Captain. It was unclear whether he had declined, or suggested Russ to do his dirty work. With Forster's advanced age, no one questioned his decision. Most figured he feared he'd die before carrying out the mission. He needed Russ's youth (and what Samuel now recognized as clear determination) to aid him.

Samuel pocketed his oblong key.

The audio passkey echoed in his mind.

Continuity error.

~*~