Michael McKellar (3)

III

In the silver box, last night's prayer sat inside. Ear to ear she smiled, locking it up before tearing through the envelope.

"What's up, Teagan?"

"Hello," she replied passively to the voice her eyes never put a name to. She was already a paragraph in and reaching the second flight of stairs.

I think about you all the time. I hate that you think anything else. I don't call because life has gotten in the way but I'm going crazy without you.

"Teagan, you still doing my hair tomorrow, girl?"

"Uh-huh."

"Alright, I'll see you."

I want to show you the real me. One summer isn't enough for you to digest all that I am. I dream that you and I can see each other again very soon. But I'm not sure how possible that will be. There are a few things I would like to talk to you about first.

"Tee, gym tomorrow. Don't ditch me again for no-"

"Yeah, yeah."

I sleep with your picture tucked in my pillowcase. You are everything I ever dreamed of. I'm more in love with you after every letter. I'm desperately at my PO Box every afternoon.

There's something about this back and forth writing that excites me to the point where I think we could love this way forever. But I know you want more. And so do I. I just don't know why I feel so nervous about seeing you again.

Well actually I do.

Teagan finally reached her floor, hit with a strong aroma of curry.

"Big day comin' up!" her neighbor said stepping out and locking her door.

Teagan ripped her eyes from the paper and acknowledged the woman. "Yeah, I'm terribly anxious."

"Child, you gonna be fine. You watch, it's gonna be best day of your life. Your family comin' over from Connecticut?"

"They are. They should be here tomorrow actually." Teagan pushed through her door. "I'll see you later, Misses Johnson."

"See you, missy."

Closing the door behind her, she stood in her living room to read the last of it.

Putting my fear aside, I'm going to call you on Tuesday night like you asked. Just promise to answer with an open mind. I have something to confess. I hope after it's done I can keep you...in any way possible, even if small.

"Tee?!" A gruff voice called from the bedroom. "Baby, come here!"

"One second!" Heart racing, folding the paper into a tiny square, she tucked it in her back pocket and tore apart the envelope over the kitchen garbage. Snatching a few newspaper inserts from the table, she made sure to leave no evidence behind.

"Tee?!"

"Coming!"

In the room he was sitting on the edge of the bed, tying up his sneakers. "You ready?"

"Yes."

     Her lover reached out and pulled her close. Lips to her stomach, he planted sweet kisses. "Let's go check on baby McKellar one last time before her big arrival."

"His," Teagan corrected.

"Think what you want." He stood, offering her a kiss before heading to the closet for a jacket.

"Michael?"

     "Hm?"

     "It's Tuesday," she mentioned.  "Does that mean you're hanging with your friends tonight at the bar?"

"Yeah. Gotta see them as much as I can before we move out to Encino."

"Okay."

"You can come out too."

"A pregnant woman in a bar? No thanks."

"We can switch it up."

"No, that's okay. You know me. I'll be on the phone tonight."

"With who?"

"Honestly...I have no clue."

This is where we say THE END

But tell me...what happens next in your mind?

~*~

A poet.

A musical phenomenon.

A letter put into the wrong hands, but sent to the right heart.

A face she misses dearly, and a name he's never known before.