Chapter Three

~Chapter Three~

With a laugh he replied, “I have fared well enough without your presence. After all the underground isn’t the same without her mistress.” He kissed my forehead as a blush crept down my cheeks. “I have returned for now, but don’t get your hopes up that things are the same as before.” His smile faded as I continued. “I am not the same little girl who left years ago, I have changed. Just as I assume most of Salem has.” The three that stood in front of me chuckled a bit. “Salem will never change Azri….” I slap my hand over Rakeal’s mouth before she had time to finish her statement. “Not here you ignorant pest, has no one ever told you that name means nothing outside of the manor walls?” Her eyes widened in fear as I grinned. “Ariah, calm down and get into the limo now.” James voice fell hollow to my ears as he grabbed my wrist. “You are starting to draw unwanted attention towards us. Please, get into the damn limo.” I tensed at his warmth. “Fine, just don’t touch me.” I hissed out as I entered the limo’s spacious backseat followed by Gina and Rakeal as James, made himself comfortable in the front. “Now shall we make our way to the manor or what?”

No one responded to him as the engine hummed. Silence was something I craved at the moment and that was exactly where we were left for what seemed like an eternity before Gina broke it. “So, are you excited or still pissed off?” I let a small smirk cross my face. “Both, that name,” I directed my attention to Rakeal, “That name, is something I don’t want to hear slide across your tongue anywhere besides the manor grounds. Understood?” She bit her tongue as she nodded in agreement. “Good, as I said before, that name means nothing outside of Nightmeah.” I clenched my fist in frustration as Gina gave me her classic, you’re lying, look. Of course I was lying. That name meant something more than what the average mortal would ever understand, however it was a dangerous name to say in public. People don’t walk the street every day talking about unsolved killings do they? Not without thinking twice about what they were saying. Same goes for that name. If the wrong person heard what was being said, it could mean life or death.

“I’m sorry, Ariah, I forgot my place.” Rakeal lowered her head, no doubt she thought I would strike her again. “Do all you can to remember it.” I stifled a growl as James chuckled from the front. “All of us have a name to hide, Ariah, not all of us wear our masks like you do.” I never thought he of all people would stand up for Rakeal but, I admired his boldness at the moment. “Masks are only a good cover, for some, you never wore yours to begin with.” We all broke into a laugh when he started to stammer slightly. “I’m joking James, really I am.” Finally a smile graced my lips and Rakeal’s eyes lost the fear that she held in them earlier. As the limo turned onto a dark forest road, I realized just how close we were to being, home. My blood began to pump faster as the trees got denser around us.

“You can feel it can’t you?” Ask Gina looking puzzled, as my eyes darted all through the forest. “It’s calling me.” Was all I said as, I directed my attention back to the road in front of us. When the road led us to a clearing, my body tensed up. Ahead of us I could see the manor at a distance, it hadn’t changed. All of the plants and flowers were well maintained. Even the walls were still covered in the ivy vines looked the same as I remembered. James led the limo down a trail that I remembered lead to the front doors of the manor. Many people stood in wait there, some in the attire of servants, others faces belonged to those who were engraved in my memories. One face stood out among the dozens that were present. Those eyes of theirs locked with mine and for a moment it felt as though they could see right through me. “Who is he?” I pointed at the boy who’s eyes held mine. “Him? He’s no one of importance.” James coughed out as he put the limo in park. “Why does he seem to be then?” Gina grabbed my arm which broke the staring contest between us. “Why do you ask?” She looked concerned. “I have seen him before. I know I have.” I mumbled as I tried to look back at the boy. “Impossible.” Rakeal breathed out, drawing my attention to her. “How is that?” She smirked, “He isn’t from around her, Ariah.” I looked again at the boy then back to Rakeal. “Do you know where he is from then?” She shook her head. “Romania.” I tilted my head in confusion, “Oh, he is? When did he come to Salem then?” Gina looked out the window with me, I noticed the nervous way she looked at him. It was something strange for her, nothing made her nervous. “Well?” I looked at all three of them waiting for someone to answer me. “He arrived last night actually.” I looked up towards the front at James, following his gaze I realized he was glaring towards the boy. “Last night you say. What brought him to the manor?” Gina cleared her throat as she looked towards the boy then back at me. I noticed all three of them couldn’t stop looking towards the boy.

 “You.” I paled as my heart felt like it stopped beating. “Me? Why me?” I looked towards the boy again. Realization finally hit me to where I had seen that boy before. Those eyes, I could never forget. That crystal blue color was something I knew was inhumanly possible. “I have seen that boy before” I repeated to myself out loud hoping no one would call me out on it. “How?” Rakeal asked me as she too was glaring towards the boy. “I see him every night almost.” I chuckled to myself as finally they all brought their attention to me. I was suddenly glad we were still inside the safety of the limo when they all shouted at once, “Where!?” I smiled knowing I was about to scare them, as much as I was scaring myself. “In my dreams.”