Chapter 4 - Dinner

Chapter 4

Dinner

"Are you sure you're doing that right?" Anthony asked, leaning over my shoulder yet again. I spun around, hitting his shoulder with my big wooden spoon.

"Yes, I am sure!" I exclaimed, laughing. For the past twenty minutes, the whole time I had been cooking, Anthony had been looming in the corner, constantly asking me if I was doing it right. Even though I should've been annoyed, I couldn't help but laugh. "It's a salad, I don't think I can mess it up."

He shook his head. "It is you, Bree, don't underestimate your ability." I stuck my tongue out at him, giggling. God, why was I acting like I was twelve?!

Just then, Scott came back. He walked into the kitchen and set the bags on the table, eyeing us curiously. Anthony was pretty close since he had been looking over my shoulder, so I quickly pushed him away.

"Thanks, babe!" I chirped, throwing my arms around his neck. Scott hated going to the store, but he would always do it for me. It was just one of the constant reminders of how much he loved me and how lucky I was. "Dinner is almost ready. Now, both of you boys, get out of my kitchen!"

"But I want to watch you cook," Scott pouted, pulling me in for a kiss. I smiled against his lips, pushing his shoulders to try to get him out of my kitchen.

"PDA!" Anthony screamed, throwing his hands in the air and running out of the room. I burst into giggles, that boy was really something.

"Grow up!" I yelled, finally pushing Scott out. "I'll call you when dinner is ready."

When I was finally left alone, I was able to finish dinner. I tossed the salad, made my special sauce, and pulled the meatloaf out of the oven. So far, so good. After I set the table I prepared myself for the stampede and stepped back.

"Dinners ready!" I screamed, cupping my hands around my mouth. Two seconds later a buffalo herd came running into the room, completely demolishing my beautiful food. Even Mackenzie was going crazy. "God, I'm living with crazy people," I muttered under my breath. Eventually, I was able to get my food and sit down with the others.

"Mm, this is so good, Bree." Mackenzie moaned, shoving another bite of meatloaf into her mouth. I giggled, she had sauce around her mouth.

"Yeah, Bree," Anthony added, "You were definitely doing it right." I smirked.

"Of course I was, I told you!" I laughed, slapping his arm playfully. Scott's warning glance landed on me, so I lowered my arm. Why was he so worried about this? Anthony was just a friend!

Scott coughed, "So, Anthony, what brought back in town?" I felt my back stiffen. Even I haven't asked that question. I guess part of me didn't want to, though, because I didn't even care so long as he was spending time with me. It was sad, I know.

After a moments hesitation, Anthony said, "I had some...Work to get done." Lie. That was a complete lie. I could tell by the way his eyes darted around the room and his fingers drummed nervously on the table. No one else seemed to notice, though.

"Oh really?" I asked, raising an eyebrow at him. He nodded, raising his water glass to his lips. "What do you do?" As soon as the words left my mouth Anthony choked on his water. Yup, he was lying.

"Oh, um...It's like a toy business type thing. I'm just making a delivery." He muttered, playing with the food on his plate. Another sign he was lying.

But wait, a toy business? Does that mean..? No, I'm crazy. That was just a coincidence, there was no connection between that and what I had seen the night Anthony disappeared. There was no 'Santa's sleigh.'