Chapter 4

|CHAPTER 4|

His voice slide into her very soul, as shadows once again fluttered across the room.

“This is a contract binding you to the Circus of damned Shadows. You sign with the ink of your blood, my dear.”

As he spoke, the deep wound finally bled.

Biting her lip, Liana moved her drip, drip, dripping wrist over the pot until it was full.

Before she could react, his hand shot out once more, this time to grasp her wrist.

He moved her arm towards him, and she had time to flinch back.

But he would not let go.

As his tongue stroked gently over her bloodied wrist, she closed her eyes in fear that fangs would tear into her flesh, as the twin’s had done to Father’s body.

The Ring Master released his grip, and her eyes popped open at the movement.

“My dear, I am a demon. If I were to kill you, it would be to feast on your delectable soul. It is mere play to taste your blood. Thought, I can understand now why Shine was so impatient to sink her teeth into you. Every part of you is divine.”

His face far from emotionless, he licked his lips in mimicry of Sun’s actions earlier.

Feeling all of the blood drain from head, she stumbled back, only to hit her hip on the heavy wood of the desk.

A wry grin curved his full lips, as if he could taste the terror screaming through her veins.

“Worry not, my dear. I am only teasing. You shall soon find that we of the Shadows have a skewed sense of humour. I apologise for terrorising you. Now if you would…” His tone sounding the very opposite of apologetic, he indicated to the contract.

Her hands shaking, she did not let her fear paralyse her as she reached for the quill, and placed it at the bottom of the contract.

Not allowing herself to overthink the fact that she was literally making a deal with a Devil, Liana signed her name.

The Ring Master picked up the paper, and stated clearly, “I, Ringo, the Master of the Circus of Shadows, do accept this contract, and take into my care, Illiana Marie Robertson.”

Remembering that he knew her past, and the full given name of her true parents, she felt pain stab her heart.

The paper burst into flames, but he did not let it go until only ash remained to flutter to the ground.

His hands were not red or burnt.

Not letting herself dwell on the long-extinct pain shadowing her soul, she thought instead about their names.

Sun and Shine, the sociopathic twins of unknown species that rip apart and eat human flesh for fun.

Ringo, the demonic Master of the circus, who savoured souls, like one would aged wine.

What had she gotten herself into?

A smooth laugh, akin to a caress, brought her mind back into the tent. “My dear, they are all stage names, for the sake of dramatics and irony. There is a certain freedom in being able to choose one’s own name, don’t you think? Within the circus, these are the identities that we have chosen for ourselves, the labels that we answer to. You are now a part of my circus, and the protection it offers, Liana. No-one in my family will raise a hand against you, as they know they would have to answer to my wrath.”

Feelings of mind-numbing relief and edgy uncertainty battled for dominance in her chest.

Before she could decide which emotion would reign supreme over her mind, the Ring Master stepped into her personal space.

“You know, you remind me of my sister.”

Feeling goose bumps crawl down her arms, she met his eyes, so much like black holes that suck up everything they see, and questioned softly, “You wish to eat your sister’s soul?”

Thought she hadn’t meant it as a joke, he laughed loudly.

The shadows jumped with the sound, as if he controlled their unstable movements.

“That is where you two differ. I meant that you have the same look in your eyes. Beaten down, you both remained gently defiant. Passively resisting those who would see you burned alive.”

The revelation shook her from her previous fear, as wary empathy coiled in her lungs.

“Were you the one who beat her?” She whispered the words, as if asking quietly would stop him from being offended.

He simply shook her head, and continued to pierce her with his soulless gaze.

Liana remembered the shame that burned her throat every time Father, and all of the others, had come near her.

The accusations that she had brought it all on herself, for being too appealing or too defenceless or too stupid.

Still keeping her voice almost silent, she asked “Did you rip their eyes out for doing such a thing to her?”

His velvet laugh rolled around her once more.

“If you believe nothing else of me, know that I paid them back ten-fold for their actions.”