The Way Things Fall

"... Why do we need to go to the docks?" I asked.

"Sage, the government is evacuating the coast there's some kind of hurricane coming to New York. And everyone needs to leave. If you want I can give you a ride." her words are hushed, trying not to let Wanda hear her.

" Sage I don't think it's just a hurricane, I think there's some real shit going down. They're making people go on a boat. If it were a hurricane, wouldn't you think to move in land?".

" I don't understand." Evacuating! It must be bad if the coast is being evacuated this fast.

" Give me 20 minutes Avery. I'll knock when we're ready." she nodes and I close the door.

"Honey! Wanda! Pack some clothes sweetie we have to go with Avery on a trip" I said as soothing as I could. I know what to do, but the feeling of doom has my heart in its tight grip.

"What's going on mom?" she asks. I grab the scotch tape and tape the widows with an 'X' "sweetie please just do as I tell you" I hurry into the room and grabbed anything in the draws.

"Mom I can't find my boots!" Wanda calls.

"Wanda honey grab anything." all together we have a duffle bag with random clothes. I knock on Avery's door she's ready. She steps out and locks the door behind herself. We hurry down the stairs to the car. Avery takes my bag and hops in the front seat.

"Mom does this mean no more school?" Wanda asked me.

"Avery did they say anything about school? Where are they going to take us when we get there?" I asked.

"They're probably going to keep us on the boat for a while."

I can't help but think If there is a hurricane, why are we going to the dock? This doesn't make sense! If were running from water why are we going to it. It was a long silent ride. It was starting to get cool so we role up the widows. When we get to the docks there were police trying to line people up, but it looked like they're going crazy. The crowd looks like a sea of heads. There are so many people here all rushing to the end of the dock towards this really big ship. And something on the ship said "Podding center". People screaming and shouting everywhere. Wanda holds my hand tight. I look down to see she's crying. She's not good with crowds, claustrophobia is to blame. As a baby she couldn't even stay in a stroller because it was so enclose. I pick her up, smoothing her hair and pushing forward. Avery starts to push hard, knocking people down. A police officer makes eye contact with me and I start moving to him.

"What's going on officer?" the man looks around trying to see if anyone is paying attention.

"Ma'am ask a the other guard!" he yells over the screaming people. Wanda's still crying, I look back and Avery is out of sight. I turn away from the officer and start walking to the end. Pushing people out the way, now I see what's happening. People are being lowered onto the ship. I put Wanda down grabbing her hand. I push through the crowd even harder. I'm almost at the opening. Then Wanda lets go, and in a split second, she's being dragged away. I go to grab her but I'm pulled by my hips into the opening.

"WANDA!" I scream on the top of my lungs. But it gets no one's attention. The officer who grab me is pulling me away onto the ship. I scream again for Wanda. But the man is not stopping. I'm on the ship now.

"Please officer my daughter. She's 8. Please let me go! She needs me." The man is not letting go and hands me to another officer. I start to punch and kick but they're bigger than me. One officer comes up to me with a needle and injects it into my neck. I scream my daughter's name louder, until I'm swept away by the darkness.