Chapter 9

Keval was disgruntled when he saw someone walking toward him. He wanted to yap out that he wished to be left alone. 

He didn't know how much longer he could endure this

He was carefully executing Ainas' plan, step by step and he was already exhausted.

The first step was to successfully teleport himself to the Eka station.

The second step was to become a part of the Rakshak Nayak circle.

The third step was to stay aloof. He hated it with a passion because no one was ready to leave him alone. He had asked Ainas about this particular step. She had laughed and told him that his aloofness would attract more attention; souls would come in abundance to quell his misery. 

She had no idea how right she was.

A shadow loomed over him. He gave whoever it was a cold shoulder. If they had any decency they would leave him alone.

Their constant show of concern pained him. He doubted if it was real. It shouldn't be. He didn't need a babysitter constantly worrying about his wellbeing. He was fine as he was. He had himself and he had Sakhi. They were a solid team.

What irked him the most was that deep down, a part of him longed for someone who wouldn't use him, who would genuinely be concerned about him. 

He chided himself for becoming soft. Some time away from Daanavlok was all it took dwindle his faith in himself. He reminded himself of the bigger picture.

His oath.

His freedom.

'Keval?'

His expression soured. He paid no attention to the souls who had come to talk to him. He recognized Anamika's voice. He resisted the urge to roll his eyes. 

What did she want from him?

He looked up to find another face smiling at him. The other face was a Yamdhut. Fear gripped him. He set his eyes on Sakhi, cursing Anamika for bringing a Yamdhut to him.

He was supposed to avoid them like a plague. 

'What?' He spat bitterly.

'This is Yoshanhara. She's a Yamdhut.'

He wanted to say, 'Of course she is. Have you seen her attire?' but bit back the retort. He did not want to mess with a Yamdhut.

Out of the corner of his eyes, he saw Yoshanhara take a seat next to him. He stiffened. He almost shut his eyes and thought, This is it. I'll be branded as a traitor now and I'll spend the rest of the eternity running from the Daanavraj.

'That's a beautiful sword,' she commented.

'Thanks,' He replied in a clipped tone.

She extended her hand, 'Can I see it?'

He didn't move. Sakhi was not just a weapon to him. She was the closest he had to a friend. He would not let anyone touch her. He shook his head and put her back into her scabbard. He didn't need to be gentle about it. She was beautiful but that didn't mean that she wasn't lethal and rough.

Silence followed. He found himself wondering if he had offended her. He didn't dare to look. He shuddered involuntarily when he thought of the consequences.

'I've heard from Guru Gavishta that you fight really well,' she tried again.

He was glad she wasn't offended.