Chapter Nine

Huang (Hrafn)-- Hàbảo

Three days had passed since the Tarynians had left the East. Their army spanned outwards for miles, all of them trailing behind. The flooded roads had created a perilous environment. The mud caked their worn leather boots and had dried on their pants. Huang looked over his shoulder upon his white steed, watching over his people with care. Most had disgruntled faces, but the look would soon dispel once they returned to their homeland.

Crows came from the East and squawked overhead. Death followed no matter what. Huang sighed heavily, with his gaze coming to fall on Calanthe. Calanthe rode a fair mare on his right. The horse was speckled with dust and dirt, but it was all that Hyacinth had left him. He hadn't been permitted to take anything from his bedchambers, not even his books. Huang wasn't concerned because he knew that Taryn boasted an excellent library. Taryn would be his legacy now, and he would rebuild it in the name of his forefathers and in the name of the Tarynian's will.

Rein and Ta'lat rode side by side, just a ways behind Calanthe, while Erlendr rode directly beside Calanthe on Huang's far right. Dagrun led the way while Cendric remained steadfast on Huang's left side.

"How likely is the weather to be tumultuous?" Huang asked Cendric. "Sin–I mean, it had been predicted before that the weather would be treacherous by this time. Winter comes early in the mountains."

Cendric cleared his throat. "We'll know more once we are clear into Othmar." He swallowed hard, glancing at the thick, pine trees of Solveig. "We are too close to the enemy region to speak of this. The mercenaries could ambush at any second, especially if it's true that they're in league with Aelfgar."

Huang nodded in understanding before he turned his gaze upon Calanthe. Calanthe's eyes were red and swollen. He had cried much in his sleep for the past nights, worrying for his people in Eglantine. A horn had sounded from the old castle keep and had broken through the night, startling him awake. Huang had attempted to comfort him, but the young prince had been concerned that it was Hyacinth's rage coming to get him again. He was free from her wrath whether he realized it or not. The poison Huang's dagger possessed didn't have an antidote, and if there was one, it could only be secured in the empire of Jiahao.

"How are you feeling?" Huang asked, breaking the thin air between him and Calanthe. It had to be confusing for him, considering the name changes. "I know that the Tarynians refer to me as Hrafn, but I was born Huang. Sindri gave me the name Hrafn when I became a Gharashian. I do not feel comfortable with either name, however it must be that way until we get back to Taryn. There it will be decreed that I am King and then I may choose the title I would prefer."

Calanthe batted his eyes in confusion, a slight tilt to his head. "You can change your name?" He hummed, having a stirring thought in his mind. "Have you thought of any yet? I have always kept the name Calanthe as my mother wished me to have it."