High School

Anne sighed as she walked down the fromt steps of Central High. Why wouldn't William just leave her alone? Why couldn't he go and bug someone else? Anne knew the answer. William had liked her since about 4th grade. He had been her shadow pretty much ever since then. Most of the time she didn't mind him, but today he had been telling her she was pretty every single time she saw him. She had half a mind to go in the bathroom, smudge her makeup, turn her shirt inside out, and pull out her hair. Then, he wouldn't keep telling her she was pretty, because she wouldn't be. Luckily he didn't take her bus, although he would probably come over to her house as soon as he could.

Of course, her parents didn't care. As far as they knew, their daughter was a drug addict and dealer and had killed the President of the United States. If she had, they couldn't have cared less. Her father was a smart man, who used all of his knowledge, time, and skill in his work at Microsoft. He was pretty high up the employment ladder, but also never came home. When he did come home, he went to bed and slept like a baby until his next shift. She barely ever saw him. Her mother was one of those women who eat a lot more than is healthy then spend the rest of the time primming themselves and going to coffee shops. No, it wasn't her parents that were the problem. It was just William. He had been her good friend since kindergarten, and she couldn't just tell him he was annoying! He was even an extremely good-looking guy that every girl in high school liked- except for her. Anyway, for the current problem. When William called to ask if he could come over tonight, as he always did, she would say, um, what would she say? She had too much homework? No, he would just come over to "help" her with it. Too much stuff to do? Kind of vague, but she couldn't come up with anything better right now.

"Hi Anne!" skipped her best friend Maggie. She was bright, bubbly, and a good relief from thoughts about William.

"Hey Maggie!"

"Oh, the spring breeze pushing the trees and making them dance, while dancing and singing itself. The grass soft and green, and school is over. Now, all I have to do is homework, which isn't quite so poetic, but still, it is math homework, which makes it all good. Oh, and government homework- but that is okay. I can live with studying for what ever test we are studying for, right? It's not like it's English homework or anything. Oh, look at that cute little bee, just buzzing around the clovers. What a beautiful day. Don't you think so?"

"What? I'm sorry, I wasn't listening." Anne said apologetically.

"I was just saying that it is such a beautiful day. An exquisite day. Don't you think so?"

"Well... sure. Why not."

"Exactly! Why not?"