Chapter 3

A few minutes later, everyone was ready and walking down the street to the park. It was fairly close to the house, and Clara wanted to walk. It helped to clear her mind. When they got there, Clara and Amber sat down on a small, red bench and let the kids go play. About a hundred feet away, Clara spotted her brother-in law, Henry, talking to a girl with red hair and unnaturally high pigtails. She looked almost half his age, and she still didn't think he had gotten over his wife's death yet, so it couldn't have been a girlfriend. She dismissed the thought from her mind, knowing that, just like William, Henry tended to spend his time with whoever and whenever he wanted. Clara turned back to talk to her mother to start a conversation, but hearing a strange noise she quickly turned back around. Where girl talking to Henry had just been, stood a large wooden stand, hanging a banner which advertised "Free Ice Cream!". Wait. Was that there before? She thought with a strange look. But what really confused Clara was right next to the stand stood a large, robot girl, turning her head slowly from side to side. How in the world did that get here? She thought to herself. Amber was also looking over her shoulder, eyeing the animatronic carefully.

From up at the top of the playset, Elizabeth spotted the table full of ice cream, which she loved with a strange passion.

"Mommy, Mommy! Imma go get ice cream." She yelled and quickly ran down the metal stairs. Clara chuckled to herself and watched her run over to where the ice cream was. As she reached the stand, the robot girl turned her head down to look at her, like it could actually see her. Elizabeth turned around to face her, and she had the widest smile on her face. The clown just continued to stare at Elizabeth with her small metal smile, who seemed to be the only child at the park not trying to avoid it. Clara looked around and noticed Michael was watching from the other side of the park as well.

As Elizabeth reached out for the ice cream, the animatronic suddenly opened up the plates on her stomach, and a sharp, metal claw shot out. Before Elizabeth could even scream, it grabbed her around her waist and pulled her inside the robot. It took such a short time that Clara almost wasn't sure what had happened. When her mind came back to life, she was filled with sudden horror.

"ELIZABETH!" She screamed and jumped out of the bench. She took off at a run towards the robot, dodging small children and running through the park. When she reached the stand, she slid down on her knees, pounding on the stomach of the robot. She screamed again, trying to pry it open with all of her strength. Tears blurred her vision as she tried again and again to reach her daughter. Amber ran over and put a hand on her shoulder, also with tears in her eyes.

"No, Elizabeth, please no." Clara sobbed into the ground. She heard Footsteps on the ground as Fritz ran over to the scene. She scanned for Michael, still sobbing, to make sure he was okay, and found him collapsed on the ground on the other side of the playground. Clara looked up at the robot's face, smiling, almost mockingly, down at her, its eyes now turned to a bright green just like Elizabeths'. Sadness fell over her like a wave, and she fell to the ground with her face in her hands. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Henry was still standing there, observing everything that had just happened as if it was merely a failed experiment rather than the death of a small child. She thought she saw the slightest grin on his face as he turned away towards the parking lot. Clara scowled at his back as Amber tried to lead her away from the stand, her hands covering her face as she finally admitted defeat.