Chapter Three

Chapter Three

"Every being that enters the void has a certain amount of time before they are claimed."

"Claimed?"

"Hmmm, Kept in the in-between forever and are forgotten by those who knew and or loved them."

"How do you know how much time you have before you are claimed?"

"That is a question I do not know of the answer. I don't know a great deal. I always thought it was the Faerie spirit world growing up."

"When did you realise that it wasn't"

"When I saw the grey lady, or leannán sídhe as she is formally named. She is the keeper, the one who sucks the souls out of bodies of the weak and incases them here, like a museum. She is also said to be some kind of muse, helping those who are creative and artistic for a price, that is madness which then leads to early death."

"How come you can see the void?"

"I have no idea or I didn't until I saw you. How did you get there any way?"

"I'm not sure. All I remember was being stabbed and then I was travelling down a dark tunnel to this place."

"What?" Sophia asked. The look of fright was etched onto Karina's face, a look of terror.

"That means your physical body is still in Faerie. Which means I am looking at your soul."

"What does that mean?" Sophia asked. A shiver shimmering up her spine.

"That leannán sídhe had chosen you to take back. That's very dangerous, or worrying at least."

"Stop scaring me Karina." Sophia shuddered.

"Sorry. But it's true. leannán sídhe only takes human souls. She never takes a Fae. They seem to get there by themselves, they kind of wonder into the veil. You said you were travelling down a tunnel, you were guided to the void. Most likely by the lady herself."

"Maybe she got confused. I've lived in the human realm pretty much my whole life."

"No, the grey lady is never wrong. You must have seen her before."

Sophia swallowed the hard lump that quickly formed in her throat and gave a slight nod.

"I have seen her before, but as a child. I thought she was a ghost, the grey lady that roams around Abbey house." Sophia retold the popular story.

"Then she knew what you were before you did."

"So, what does that mean?" Sophia asked. She was on tenter hooks, like a child being told an exciting story.

"It means, she has chosen the new mistress of the void. leannán sídhe is old and one day she will die and become a victim of her own world and everyone will forget about her. She needs someone, a Fae to take over the in-between. She will have to choose a new leannán sídhe. And she has chosen you."

Sophia stared at Karina with wide hazel eyes, it sounded like some kind of horror story. In some way she didn't want to believe her. However, she had no choice.

"Which means your physical body is still in Faerie."

"My body?" Sophia gasped.

Karina gave a slight nod and looked down at her coffee mug. They were sat around Karina's kitchen table.

"Yes, leannán sídhe has lured your soul to the void. You are practically a spirit. You're even starting to ghost." Karina gulped.

Sophia sat in silence at the revelation. That explains why she didn't feel the full ticket when she arrived. The thought of her body being separate made Sophia feel sick. leannán sídhe must have picked her moment when she was weak from being hurt. She was dying, her blood has spilt across the ground, bringing everything to life again. She didn't see the grey lady, but then again she struggled to see, everything was blurred.

"Did you manage to get the crystal back home?" Karina asked with hopeful eyes. She wanted to change the subject as soon as Sophia became much paler, she thought she was going to be sick.

"How do I return to Faerie?" Sophia asked, ignoring the question.

Karina looked down at her almost empty mug, before taking a sip. It was now cold and chilled her.

"That is a question I don't know the answer too. No portal will let you through."

"I know. I tried already at the round church. So what do you reckon I should do?" Sophia exhaled.

Karina thought about the question. There was something, she knew it. She was told it centuries ago by her own grandmother, who could also see the void. She racked her brain, searching through each life lesson she was taught. And then it came to her, like a flash back. Her grandmother rocking by a huge fireplace, wrapped up in blankets. Karina was small and sat opposite, gazing up her at her grandma.

"Listen to me child. If you ever find yourself in that void. You much search for only one place and only one place. Do you hear me child?"

"I do grandma."

"Good. Now listen carefully. This one place is sacred and no other shall know of it, it is the brightest place you shall search for and the prettiest..."

"Does it have a name?"

"It does my child." The old lady smiled sweetly "It's called the Vale of the Fae. They will protect you and help you out of any situation you are in. Especially in the in-between."

"How will I find it Grandma?"

"You must first wait until night has fallen and the moon is full. Walk as far west, until you see the lights. They will be the most prettiest of lights you have seen and they twinkle with all the colours of the rainbow."

"Like the hobby lanterns?"

"Yes my dear, just like them but only more beautiful. They will guide you to the vale. But still keep your wits about you. If the grey lady shall find out, she will come looking for you."

"Vale of the Fae." Sophia whispered, she never heard of it before.

"Yes. But, be careful leannán sídhe doesn't take kindly to escapees. So keep your eyes open and your wits about you." Karina replied.

Sophia gulped, remembering how the grey lady faded away in Celia's kitchen. Something inside of her was screaming that this wasn't going to be as easy as it sounded.

A/N: Thank you to all my readers and followers for liking and commenting on this book. Means so much and inspires me to write more.