Chapter 16

Henry and Carlos went to bed early, leaving their conversation unresolved. They’d been friends so long, each knew what the other would say. But this is different from Miami, Carlos thought. Back then he let emotion cloud his mind. He wouldn’t become obsessed this time. He’d use solid police work to get justice for this little girl. And going on this expedition was simply the next logical step. He needed to find the mole and turn him, get him to talk. Deep down, Carlos suspected something else was driving him, but he didn’t want to go there. He’d fled to the Brac just to escape those dark thoughts.

The expedition party gathered in the early light. They numbered well over fifty men, armed aggressively with all manners of swords, arrows, and spears. Ayzili surveyed the group. 

“No priests, eh? Who’s going to say the prayers?”

“You’ll have to skip those,” Jell said, ignoring her sarcasm. “The local priests need to stay here and spread the word to the city. We can’t fight the baka alone.”  

“Then I guess the high priests haven’t sanctioned us,” Ayzili said, laughing. She stretched out her calves as if eager to begin the trek. 

“How far are you traveling?” Henry asked the group. This was the first time he’d spoken all morning, still smarting from their argument the previous night. 

Sasha’s father, Moro, approached them. “Several days at least, to find a fresh supply. We’ll hug the coast so the tide can clean our tracks.”

“Are you sure the baka won’t attack before we return?” Carlos asked him.

“That’s a chance we have to take.”

Ayzili smiled. “Don’t worry….we’ll meet our share in the wild.”

Carlos nodded grimly and then turned to Henry. “I’m sorry. This is just something I have to do.”

Henry managed a weak smile. “Ok, but how will you know when you’ve done it?”

“When I’ve caught everyone who had a hand in that girl’s death.”

Henry sighed. “That might never happen, Carlo.”

“Then I’ll give it a damn good try.”

“Just don’t get yourself killed in the process.” Henry reached out and embraced him. “Godspeed,” he said. “I’ll keep my eyes open around here.” Carlos was glad his friend didn’t hold a grudge. He wanted to part on good terms. 

“I told you not to go surfing.” 

“Haha…you bastard.” Henry waved goodbye as the party marched through the gates.  

Outside Ginen, the wind blew fiercely. Carlos grimaced. Sand grains stung his eyes for a good half mile, until he followed the other men’s example and wrapped his face in cloth. The expedition party quickly made their way towards the water, where the sand was wetter and did not fly about as much. Monstrous waves crashed in the distance, which made Carlos glad that Henry hadn’t joined them. He’d find some way to go surfing. 

The group trudged along single file at a fast clip. Walking on the hard sand was going to give him blisters, Carlos knew. To ignore the pain, his mind started to wander. It went back to the place it always went, the shores of Miami. 

His daughter’s sandcastle was almost finished, and he sat back to admire it. 

“Nice work, Violet” he said, snapping a shot with his camera. She wasn’t pleased. Even though she’d laid driftwood support rods, the towers still weren’t high enough, and they lacked decoration. “The tide’s coming in, sweetie. We should work on the wall.”