Deployment

"We've got another briefing today." Hawk announces as he plonks himself down next to Merlin, the RIO running a hand through his tawny hair almost worriedly at the thought, the hot air of the conference room in the Enterprise already forming a layer of sweat on his skin. Around us (Merlin, Hawk, Maverick and I), the other pilots and some ground staff chatter amongst themselves, eating quickly in the time given.
"What is it now?" I ask him, a frown creasing my brow in confusion. He never normally worries about briefings, none of us do; we all know nothing ever changes.
"There's talk of our deployments changing. Apparently some of us are going to be sent to different carriers." He replies grumpily, slouching in his chair even as I sit upright, pulling out of Maverick's protective grip around me.
"They can't do that! We fly for the Enterprise now!" Maverick exclaims a little too loudly, Merlin and I agreeing with him immediately.
"I don't know about that. In their eyes, we fly for the country, so we can be placed anywhere." Hawk sighs, leaning back in his chair slightly, golden eyes scrutinising Maverick and I as we quickly glance at each other. An odd, indescribable feeling rises in me at the thought of being deployed elsewhere, away from Maverick, the idea making me go cold all over.
Turning back to Merlin and Hawk, I excuse myself, needing to think through the new information in peace and quiet, going into the corridor to get to my bunk room. Behind me I hear Maverick follow, as I knew he would, the young aviator as predictable on land as he is unpredictable in the air, his heavy steps pursuing me rapidly as I ascend the iron steps to the next floor, which is lined with bunk room doors. Mine is the end, and as I am the only female aviator, I don't share with anyone, something which I relish. It's much more private when you don't want to talk to anyone than the boys' rooms.
"Hey, (Y/N), wait up!" Pete calls from behind me, catching up with me as I slow my stride, "What's wrong?" He asks me, leaning on the wall as we reach my room, waiting for me to unlock it. It takes me a couple of seconds to answer as I find the right words to do so.
"I don't know, I just can't face the thought of being away from you, I guess." I mutter, quietly, unlocking the door and stepping inside, allowing him through.
Closing the door behind us, I go over to the sink in the room, running the tap, waiting for it to reach an acceptable temperature. Cupping my hands under the flow, I splash the water onto my face, washing away the sweat before drying my skin with the towel hanging on the wall to the left of it. As I pull it away, I become aware of Pete standing very close behind me, his breath just reaching the revealed skin on my neck, the required hairstyle not doing anything to mask the comfortable heat.
"Oh? Would you miss me?" He says, softly, voice dropping an octave as he grasps my hips, pulling me against his hard body, mouth finding it's way to my neck, lips tracing a path over my pulse before he plants an open mouthed kiss on the faint hickey he left there a week before. Breathing heavily, I allow my head to drop into his shoulder, revealing more skin to him, which he takes complete advantage of, licking and sucking at it with a heightened fervour, hands pulling me even tighter against him.
Turning in his grip, I place my hands on his chest, feeling the muscle contract under my touch in pleasure, his head coming up from its position at the crook of my neck to rest against mine, lips parted as he watches me, eyes dark with lust. Surging forwards, I kiss him, placing my lips on his gently until he kisses back with added fire, pushing me back into the wall with his body, one hand coming up to grip my hair, the other untucking my shirt from my trousers, creasing the pressed fabric in its haste to caress my bare skin. Reaching up, I card my fingers through his dark hair, pulling on it, almost moaning when I receive a pleasurable groan from the aviator pressed against me. Leaving my lips, Pete trails his kisses down my neck again, licking a stripe up to my jaw, where he nibbles the tender skin carefully, drawing a small moan from me in surprise at his antics.
Looking at me, he growls in his throat, abruptly lifting me up, carrying me to the bunk bed, throwing me onto the lower bed as he follows, a hungry look in his eyes. Immediately, his hands go to the buttons of my shirt, hastily undoing them as his mouth follows the path downwards, teasing at my chest as he hears my breath catch in my throat. Coming back up, he groans as I start to do the same, unbuttoning his shirt so I can run my hands along the hard lines of his muscular torso, feeling his dog tags fall from the opened shirt onto my own bare skin, beside my tags. Feeling his hands slip under my body to feel my every curve, I try my hardest to hold back sinful noises, especially when I feel him start to kiss at the swell of my breasts, sucking a mark into the skin there.
"Don't hide those noises from me, (Y/N), let me hear them..." He growls into my skin, licking at the slightly sore mark he left there to soothe it. At his words, I release a quiet moan, arching my back in pleasure, my hips bucking into his, which draws another animalistic grunt from him.
A sharp knock at the door suddenly interrupts the continuation of our antics, the brisk voice that follows drawing us back into reality.
"Quicksilver, you are needed for a briefing in ten minutes, sharp. Be prompt." The commander leaves after saying this, assuming it to be only me in the bunk room.
Groaning in displeasure, Maverick looks back at me, ducking his head to rest it against my hot skin momentarily, the mood ruined completely.
"Come on, we've got to go!" I whisper to him, the previous feeling of dread returning to me as quickly as I forgot it.
"Urgh, we're going to continue this later, alright?" Pete promises, a devious smirk plastered across his lips as he pulls away, still straddling me as he buttons his shirt back up again, hiding the unmarked skin from me, gaze heavy on mine, the lust not having left his eyes yet. Leaning up, I press a kiss against his lips before wriggling out of his grip, standing and fixing my own clothes, going to the vanity dresser to redo my hair.
I bite my lip as I feel him wrap his arm around my waist one last time, placing a kiss against my skin before leaving the room, heading to the briefing room. A couple of minutes later, I follow him, locking the door behind me as I set off.
On arrival, I take in the looks on the faces of the two commanders standing at the front of the room, noting the serious lines present in the creases of their eyes. I quickly take my place beside Hawk, greeting him discreetly as we wait for them to start.
"Good afternoon, all. We have received instruction from Miramar, and it would appear that some of you will have a different place of deployment as of next week." A murmur of surprise ripples amongst the aviators, looks of disbelief crossing their expressions.
"Quiet, please. We haven't got all year." The commander continues, face impassive to the obvious discomfort in the room. "Two pilots and their RIOs will depart for the USS Lexington next week on Wednesday. These are Iceman and Slider and Quicksilver and Hawk. There is no discussion as to this placement, just know you have been chosen by the higher ups in Miramar to be moved, for whatever reason, so it is no choice of ours."
At this, my heart drops from my chest, an icy sensation filling me as I look over to Maverick's horrified expression. I barely hear as the commander states that two other pilots will take our places, my gaze focused on the pilot across from me.
This can't be happening. I can't leave Maverick! We're too close! Life without the boisterous aviator seems dull and meaningless, though I know it is far from this. It will be weird, having a different wingman now, but I know that there is nothing I can do to change this.
Putting my head in my hands, I feel Hawk rub my back in sympathy, knowing that I am upset by the news. I sigh, breathing heavily before raising my head again to watch the commanders deliver the rest of the instructions.
Ten minutes later, I slouch in my seat again as the commanders leave, the pilots and RIOs chatting amongst themselves, a few clapping Iceman and Slider on the back in congratulations, some doing it to Hawk as he socialises. Coming over to me, Maverick takes a seat and exhales loudly, placing a gentle hand on my back.
"Hey, you ok?" He asks, voice soft.
"I've been better." I groan, looking up at him miserably.
He chuckles slightly before replying.
"It's not so bad. I'm gonna miss you like hell, but it's not forever. We'll see each other again soon." Pete's reassuring tone gives me more hope, but there are still doubts in my mind.
"Our off-time is coming up anyway, so we can spend all of that time together, too. It's not all bad!" He continues, only to be interrupted by Hawk and Merlin coming over.
"I know it's not really a cheerful time, but do you guys want to come and celebrate with us in our bunk room? We have beers." Merlin offers to us, Hawk agreeing beside him, both RIOs hopeful.
"Yeah, sure. I've got nothing better to do." I reply to them, chuckling at their widening grins, "How about you, Maverick?"
"I'm down for it!" He laughs, standing up with me as we go to follow the other two aviators out of the room, playfully shoving each other in our haste to leave.