Chapter 10

Fifteen minutes later, we're parked in the stone courtyard of Mr. Berkshire's family home. Although, it's not exactly my idea of a family home. Actually, I'd describe it more as a mansion. The fountain in the middle of the courtyard, a cherub spitting water out of its mouth, doesn't help anyone's case. As soon as we park, he climbs out of the car and walks to the two brown doors where he enters the home. I sit with my hands on my lap, admiring the various flower bushes surrounding the front of the house. The house is painted white, screaming wealth, and the roof tiles are a dark shade of blue. Back in Georgia, I seen these types of homes, but they were typically meant for big events. No one actually lived in them. I can't help, but wonder what his father or the rest of his family must do for business.  

     Twenty minutes later and i'm still waiting in the car. At this point, i'm so bored that i'm braiding a small strand of my blonde hair. I already sent a text to Skylar, asking how last night went. A second later, she is calling me and screaming in my ear. Apparently, she tried to contact me all night and all morning. She didn't know where I went. She even went as far as calling the police for a missing person report. However, she would have to wait forty eight hours. Finally, she forgives me, but only once I agree to buying her three pink drinks. I sigh and throw my head back. 

     "Where is he?" I press my forehead against the cool glass, eyes scanning my surroundings once more. My patience is running thin. With my purse in hand, I crawl out of the car and march towards the doors. I knock once, then twice. Nothing. All my good manners fly out the window as I push the door open. "Hello?" I slowly walk inside, closing the door behind me. 

     Inside, the house is even grander than the outside. The first thing I notice is a big crystal chandelier hanging above. It reminds me of the chandelier from Beauty and the Beast. From the vase of roses in the center of the room resting on the glass table, to the exotic looking carpet, this home looks like it's straight out of a fairy tale. 

     "Mr. Berkshire?" I call out, looking up towards the banister above, revealing the second floor. I inch towards the staircase when a shouting female rushes down. 

     "I will not marry him!" She screams. "You can't force me."

     "We've been over this. It's the best thing for the family." An older man responds calmly. He's following behind her. 

     "Fuck the family! What about me?!" The dark haired woman reaches the bottom of the staircase where I stand and inspects me with a cold gaze. "Who the hell are you?" Now that she is closer, I see the purple and blue bruises painting her cheek. Suddenly, I feel like i'm in the middle of a soap opera. 

     "I- Uh." Gulping, I look between the man and woman. Before I can answer, Mr. Berkshire is storming down the stairs. 

     "You can't make her do this. She de-" He stops himself right away when he sees me. "Sawyer, what are you doing? You were supposed to be waiting in the car." 

     "You were taking awhile." The shakiness in my voice reveals the nerves i'm trying to bury. The woman's ice blue stare sends shivers through me. She's the definition of intimidating. 

     "She's with you?" She asks with distaste. 

     "She works for me." He answers. The woman eyes me like i'm some disgusting critter on the side of the road. 

     "Thought you guys finally stopped fighting. Everything went quiet. So either you guys stopped or someone ended up dead." Another, brunette green eyed woman comes from the arched entry way on the left. Though, she's noticeably paler than the other. She's smiling playfully until she lays eyes on me. Her gaze turns curious as she walks closer. "Who's this?"