The Band

Maggie Freeman could not believe the run of bad luck that she was having. She couldn't seem to get a job and every time things seemed to be looking up, everything went down the drain. She knew that she had to keep trying but she wanted to take a night to forget her problems. Her friend, Joanna had invited her out to hear a local band which gave her the opportunity to have a few drinks and relax.

Maggie promised Joanna’s husband that she would keep an eye on her friend. After a little small talk the women headed for a local nightclub. Aces was known for its affinity to keeping local music alive and well. It turned out to be Maggie’s favorite hangout and she had many friends there. She was talking to the one barmaid and flirting with one of the guys on security when she heard a voice behind her.

“Long time, no see.” He said as he put his hand on the small of her back.

“Noah?” She asked as she spun around.

He grabbed her up in a hug and squeezed her tight. “How have you been?”

“Been better.” She answered honestly. “What about you?”

“Well, the woman I was seeing decided that she needed to cheat on me so I guess I could be better.” He told her as he let go. He looked her over as he continued, “You don’t look like you are doing that bad.”

“How I look and how I feel are two completely different things though.” She told him sadly.

“We can catch up on that later. Right now you should be smiling.” He glanced at her glass and asked, “What are you drinking?”

“Jameson and ginger ale.” She grinned at him. “You know how much I like my whiskey.”

He nodded and ordered her another one. Then he led her to a table before he spoke again. “As you know there are things I need to do and people that I need to talk to. I will be back soon.”

“Alright. Thanks for the drink.” She said as she tipped the glass in his direction.

Joanna returned just as Noah walked away. “Was that Noah?”

“Yes, it was. Same guy who still thinks he is young enough that being on security is cool.” She replied as they both busted up laughing.

They realized that they needed to get their laughter under control because the band was taking the stage. Maggie watched as the bass player took the stage. She knew Drew personally and was happy when he saw her sitting there. She knew all of the band members but he was the one she spoke to the most.

After several songs Joanna leaned over and said, “I think someone has an admirer.”

“Why do you say that?” Maggie asked as her cheeks began reddening.

“He keeps looking over here at you.” She pointed out.

Maggie began watching and realized that her friend was right. Then she made the mistake of letting him catch her looking. He smiled and nodded slightly. She knew that she had been caught. She continued watching him play and he kept smiling and occasionally nodding at her. She didn't want to read too much into it but it made her feel good.

“Oooooooo. And you like him.” Joanna teased.

“We are friends.” Maggie replied. “Besides, I am not his type.”

She returned to watching the band and caught Drew looking at her again. She smiled and he nodded but just as this exchange finished his eyes darkened. She was confused until she felt a hand on her shoulder. She didn't even have to look to know that Noah was back. She could tell by the change in Drew’s expression that he had read the exasperation on her face. She glanced at Joanna before looking up at Noah. Joanna could tell too that this had interrupted whatever had been going on between her friend and the bass player. Joanna could also tell that Maggie just wanted him to go away. She offered to buy Maggie another drink so he couldn't and then went to get it.