Truth

I walked beside the Didact out of the room, and this time we walked alone together instead of his Promethean Knights beside us. I no longer felt like a prisoner. "What is it you wish to know?" He asked without looking at me. I looked at him, wondering if he had the urge to kill me for snooping, but I did not ask.

Instead, I said, "You wanted to create shield worlds possibly immune to the Flood. Personally, I think that would have been better than creating Halo. During your absence, my kind and the Covenant battled......"

"I know that story human; I watched it while trapped in the depths of Requiem. But perhaps you are right, my idea would have been better. What can you expect from a fool like the Master Builder? You speak as if he is one to blame," He interrupted.

I nodded. "Yes, if it weren't for him there would be no war. My point is that your idea could have saved more lives than the many casualties during that war," I told him. This time as we walked, the Didact turned to look at me for the first time.

"Were it not for his actions other things like the war would be prevented, but they chose wrong, and I was put into exile," He said. That we can agree on for the Master Builder's actions, he triggered too many wars. I thought.

We walked down the hall to the higher levels of the Cryptum. "Mantle's Approach is set to merge with my Cryptum now and we shall leave Requiem. That event is where you come in," The Didact said. I was waiting for him to say that and began to wonder how I was going to help him.

"Where are we going? I mean, on here right now?"

"To the bridge of the Cryptum where I once rested. That is where we shall merge with Mantle's Approach. You will find the transformation of this area to be nothing like the technology you humans have."

I'll bet it is. I thought and then there was a question roaming my mind, it was about his marital status. I didn't know if now was a good time to ask, for I didn't know if he still had feelings for the Librarian after her death and after she imprisoned him. It wasn't that I was looking to hook up with him. In fact, I wasn't so sure if my heart felt that way about him. But I decided it was best to ask and get it over with to find out the truth. We walked for a few minutes towards the bridge inside the Cryptum in silence until I finally decided to say that.

"Didact.....umm....about the Librarian?" I asked, and then he stopped walking and turned to look at me blocking my path.

"She is dead that is all I know, she left me on this planet and some say she is dead," 

"Yes, but did you ever love her? I find it hard to imagine you would marry her, because you both view humans differently and your ranks differ in Forerunner society,"

The Didact looked at me with honesty and sighed. "I do not wish to talk about her," He said, and I thought he would say that.

"Hey, you can talk to me about anything. Truth is back home I couldn't talk to anyone, and now I've got someone to talk to. Sort of...due to the fact that he's a powerful Promethean who hates my kind and who might or might not let me live. No offense." I said, but the Didact did not look offended.

"Fine. I needed more power over our people, and I thought marrying her would give me that. Normally Forerunners marry within their ranks. But since she had protected humanity for centuries I could use the intel she had on them. That proved your kind had vulnerabilities in the war. The Librarian never expected it until she learned my plan to annihilate humans. She imprisoned me, and then turned my guardians, my world against me. Only Forerunners of lower ranks marry for love, human. It is a thing your kind will not understand." Then he began to walk away.