Smile 6: A Life & A Leaf

Even before Fred entered Sandyvilla High back in his freshman year, he already had the attention to be the popular kid in town along with his twin brother, Greg, knowing that he had been bringing a very admiring surname, Schilton. Possessing an international paper plant industry, his dad was already making a mountain-pile of domestic contribution to the town, including: commercial and private sectors, farmlands, manufacturing plants, recreational parks, sports centre, and especially his school itself. Not to mention they had strong connection to the government.

With his distinctive aura, as a new student, he already dominated all students' eyes and horror. He was then crowned as the student council's leader, which was apparently so biased since only the raining seniors have the rights to take the job description.

This year was his fourth year. But in every meeting with his group, there was always one thing Fred hated the most; his late underlings. He didn't want to get them scolded since they had a valid reason, and he didn't care if they were lying or not. He always wished that they would see him as an influential person, not a mean asshole.

Intimidating his team could not be found in his vocabulary. He gave that role to Greg, which suited him since he had the rocky body and he was enjoying it as well.

Now, with a very playful mindset, Fred formulated an idea to eliminate the late comers by being a late comer himself. Every time the scheduled time ticked, Fred would go roam the school anywhere he wanted. He would let the team gather completely first, and let the last person find him with in ten minutes. If failed, the finder would be force to drink a glass of castor oil.

Calling him by phone? Not a chance.

Two minutes before four in the afternoon, Fred was walking in the hallway, with his louring eyes on the phone, cursing on the game he kept on playing since the early morning.

Apparently he was continuously playing it when his last subject had ended. He just walked and walked. Play and play. Greet and greet, if ever someone greeted him. He just fully concentrated on his game, and his directions were a big question mark.

Unknowingly, he reached the door towards the balcony and pushed it with his lean right shoulder. When the game he played had failed again, he grunted and scanned around. The balcony surprised him for reaching himself in the cobblestone walkway. He covered his eyes from the sunset that gave his blonde hair a glittering effect. He then decided to sit on the bench and played the game again. The phone made laser-gun sound effects every time Fred tapped the screen.

From five tables ahead, a nest-headed girl caught his attention from the weird sound from his phone. She squinted at Fred who was scowling closely at the phone screen. With pencils on both of her hands, she continued doodling.

After five seconds, the phone generated a game-over sound effect.

Fred angrily roared himself in the air, like a lion, which made the nest-headed girl caught his attention again.

"You're a fucking bird! Why don't you just soar yourself between those pipes! Oh, wait. You don't soar. You only flap once. Then, why they are even created you!" Fred shouted at his phone, blabbering like a toyless child. "Damn you!"

He suddenly calmed himself and looked around if someone was watching him. He had to act cool to maintain his high-class image and reputation. But, it was too late for him as he saw a light auburn-headed girl scowling at him.

They stared at each other's eyes for a moment then broke away. His piercing green eyes pointed closely again on his phone. He felt embarrassed from his childish act that could change his image in the society. His head turned again to her and saw her scribbling something on the sketch pad. But seeing her using pencils on both her hands amazed him like he just saw a miracle.