Talking With Emmerich

A/N: This is where the story switches to first person point of view!

___

~~~~~ (*****^-^*****) ~~~~~

___

Conner waited a moment and then signaled us to be quiet as he climbed down the tree.  My breath hitched in my throat and held there as he climbed down the tree and looked around.  He then looked up and signaled for us to come down.

I let out a long sigh and made my way down the tree.  Emmerich scrambled down after me and then stood next to Conner and me.

"That poor old man," Emmerich said with tears in his eyes.  ^I had no idea this world would be this way. Poor Emmerich was way too young to be experiencing something this dramatic and dangerous.  What would happen to us?^  "I can't believe the general would do that to him! I always thought if someone needed help I could save them like a superhero in the movies, but I guess I was wrong."

I placed a comforting hand on his shoulder.

Conner went still for a moment then jolted back to life as something occurred to him.  "Did you hear what he told the soldiers?" he asked.  "He said, 'Napoleon will be so proud.'"

The same thought had occurred to me just a moment ago.  "Yeah," I said.  "Napoleon's been dead for, like, two-hundred-years.  I don't think they realize how long they were in the portal."

"Then how do we know how long we were in the portal?" Emmerich asked. 

^I couldn't believe the thought hadn't occur to me sooner! That would make sense! Since they had been tricked by the warping portal, then we could all have been.  All the more reason for Conner to find his family and tell them about the army. If his family was still alive.^

Conner and I locked eyes, and it was clear he was thinking the same thing as I was.  A chill went down my spine as I thought about it. 

"I'm not going to lie; these guys are really scary,"*But, the real question is...Are they scarier than those bugs in your space story? Probably, but like considering how calm he's being about it, he probably just remembers other stuff he wrote that was just as bad as this.  That's probably how he's remaining so calm. Sorry for the annoying A/N.* "And right now we need to get to the Fairy Palace pronto so I can warn my friends that the army is here.  Once we're at the palace, I promise I'll find a way to send you back to the Otherworld."

Both Emmerich and I nodded.  ^Conner was being so calm about this that it almost scared me.  Was it always this dangerous here?^

"Now follow me," Conner said, pulling me from my thoughts.  "We have to travel west into the Fairy Kingdom-and we have to move fast."

___

~~~~~ (*****^-^*****) ~~~~~

___

After we had been walking for ten minutes, Conner started to pick up the pace so we would get there faster.  As I looked over at him, I noticed that he was thinking really hard.  You could practically hear him thinking about his family and what might happen if he didn't warn them in time.

Conner started picking up the pace every moment or so, and after a few minutes, we were walking really fast.  It was so fast that I didn't know if I could keep up if he got any faster. 

I knew that Conner was really worried about his family, but he was almost about to break into a run if he went any faster.  I finally was struggling too much to keep up, as Conner had gotten faster, and stopped to catch my breath.