Chapter 6 - Uninvited

A few hours went by without any word from Aaron. I took a stroll down to a local cafe, not too far from the hotel. Zayn called twice. I let it go to voicemail. I didn't want to take to him right now. Not when there was something bigger than his life at stake. I'll give him some made up excuse later. I was truly fearful about what Aaron might discover, so I decided to give him a call.

"Nothing," Aaron groaned, as he answered the phone. "Nothing at all."

"What do you mean nothing?"

"I mean nothing. There is no record of that company or anything even close existed...And I check everywhere. Every website, every data base, every government system. Nothing."

"How is that possible," I wondered. "Check again. There has to be something. Maybe you're looking in the wrong place."

Aaron sighed, "There aren't many places left to look. But I'll keep trying."

"Thanks." I sighed, sipping a cup of java.

"It doesn't look good, Dee. It's like this company completely disappeared or ever was, and I don't think we will ever find it."

Then who would be chasing him around, I asked myself. Aaron was right. We may never find out who or what this company was. I was actually chasing a ghost and I was very pissed. It is much easier when I have a live mark, but I created a new one without a tracking record.

"Delilah," Aaron spoke, sincerely. "What's really going on?"

"What do you mean?"

"This isn't like you. You're questioning your mission."

"I never needed to question before."

"Exactly," he yelled. "It's been a few days now and that kid is still alive."

I interrupted, "That kid has a name."

He slightly chuckled, "When have you ever cared about their names?"

I softly gasped. I never cared. I still don't care. No, I don't. I frowned to myself thinking how horrible Aaron was for even suggesting it.

"How dare you? I don't care about him." I said, raising my voice slightly above than the hustle and bustle of the coffee shop.

I rolled my eyes as people stared at the female with the tinted shades. I was drawing attention to myself and I really didn't need it right now. The phone fell silent for a few seconds.

Then, Aaron spoke, "People are starting to talk. Like, you are losing your touch."

"I haven't lost anything," I fluttered.

"This isn't like Peru, is it?"

"No," I snapped, thinking about the first time I almost failed.

"It's like you are falling for him." He said.

I went hush. I didn't know what to say. I wasn't falling for him, but I was concerned. I didn't care about him, but I did not want to see him get hurt. What is happening to me, I wondered.

Aaron spoke my name with the sweetest voice but I snapped.

"Just call me when you actually have something," I barked, hanging up on him.

Losing my touch? Doubtful. I'm the best one; the best impersonator, the best operative, the best marksman. They call me for almost every crazy and impossible hit. I've never missed my mark and it's not over. I still have two days. It will be done.

He was guilty; I just need proof. I don't kill innocent people. It isn't right. I couldn't do it in Peru and I won't do it now. I needed to be sure that I was doing the right thing. A little assurance of his guilt. That's all.