Chapter 1: One Shot Two Shot

Riley sat back in the diner booth, legs squished under the marble table. Mark was sitting opposite her, almost going cross-eyed while sipping his milkshake. Christina was beside him, lowering her cappuccino. Riley was still cradling her black coffee, steam rising off the top.

They’d made this a common meeting place. It was where Mark had taken Christina on their first date. Trust him to take a girl to a goddamn diner for a special occasion. But she had to admit it was nice. With private booths and tables, it was secluded enough that she could go out without being noticed. But she wasn’t sure if she could risk taking Marshall here.

Good god… Marshall… She ran her hand through her hair. She didn’t know what to do. It’d been three weeks since they’d spoken lost. And by spoken, she meant had one of the worst fights in history. Christina was eyeing her off across the table.

“I know that look,” She said, raising a brow, raising the cup to her mouth. “That’s the ‘my boyfriend is causing me troubles’ look.”

Mark’s slurped up from his milkshake and gave Christina a horrified look. “There’s a look for that?” His stare shifted to her, as if he were trying to examine it. Riley rolled her eyes at him, taking a sip of her coffee.

Christina suggested, “Why don’t you come around tonight? It’ll be good to have dinner together, take your mind off things.”

Mark slung his arm around her shoulders. Christina had recently moved to Michigan to live with him. Ever since, Riley had enjoyed watching them together. They were a wonderful couple. Although, it was getting harder to bear their public displays of affection with her relationship with Marshall on the fritz.

“I’m not-”

“Stop,” Mark said. “I’m making homemade pasta tonight, so you don’t get an option.”

Riley bit her tongue, knowing that he had good intentions. She hated being forced into things… especially with the state she was in now. She checked her watch and sighed.

“I better go,” she insisted, taking the last sip of her coffee and leaving the cash on the table. She slung her bag around her shoulder.

Mark looked her dead in the eye.  “It’s going to be okay. I’m really proud of you.”

Riley drew in a deep breath. “Thanks, I know…” She was all too aware of the fact that her feet weren’t moving, despite the fact that she was commanding them too.

Christina patted her on the leg. “Go on. You’re a brave one.”

With supportive glances, Riley nodded and started walking out the diner onto the quiet Michigan streets. A few cars rolled by, but the place was empty besides the trees, with newly sprouted leaves, blowing in the breeze. She spotted a blonde middle aged man across the street, wearing a button up shirt and jeans. When he saw her, he raised his hand and waved.

Nervously, she walked across the street towards him. He had a warm smile on his face as he shoved his hands in his pockets.

“Glad you could make it,” He insisted, as he met her side. He motioned to walk forwards and the headed down the street.

She half rolled her eyes, “Relax, Dad. We’ve been meeting up for over a month now. You think you could drop the formalities?”

He smirked, “I’m sorry. I still get a little nervous…”

“You shouldn’t be,” She insisted, stepping over a crooked paver in the path. “We’ve been through this before.”

“I still… I can’t believe that you gave me a second chance,” He said softly.