1.

It's been 7 years and 6 months that I've been locked up. I've been serving my sentence since I was 16. As soon as I hit 18, I got shipped to Mueller's Peak Women's Correctional Facility. But that's another story. Over the years, I have slowly progressed into someone I no longer know. I've grown angrier and more heartbroken. But I guess I am who I am now. The person I thought was going to be there no matter what, doesn't even make the effort to come see me anymore. He doesn't even care to at least write me back. I made peace with the fact that he didn't give a fuck about me along time ago. He could've at least been a friend if not anything else. He probably has a whole family now. My mother was disappointed in me at first but she came around in the end. I couldn't even blame her for shunning me when I first got here. I can't lie, it used to bother me that people saw me the way they did. But now, I could care less. Who gon' check Neytiri James? Nobody. Nonetheless, I miss my brother and all my friends back home. They were like my second family. I miss my brother the most, he was the first friend I ever had. Needless to say, jail can get a bit lonely at times. But when my cousin Sanii got here, I felt like somebody had my back in here. When she came, I was disappointed to see that she followed in my footsteps. Yet, I was a little relieved to see a familiar face that I could trust. I've gotten to know her as more than just a cousin, but as a sister as well as a friend. People used to give her a hard time until they saw her in action. I guess people associated her being pretty and low-key with her not being able to fight. But that is the farthest from the truth. She knock shit out just like her big cousin. Although I'm a little more reserved than she is, she's just like me in more ways than one.

I heard a buzzing sound signifying that the cell doors were opening and I knew it was rec time.

"Alright inmates up and at 'em!" C.O. Jones yelled throughout the tier while banging his club on the bars.

I rolled my eyes. It irritates my soul being called an inmate. I might be a fuck up but I'm more than just my mistakes. Like at least call me by my last name.

I peered over the railing and saw my cousin playing spades with our good friends Selena and Bri.

"Aye Jojo, deal me in! Imma be down there in a second!" I yelled to my cousin. She hates being called by her real name. I guess she thinks it's too soft or something.

"I got you! Just hurry the hell up." She laughed while dealing each hand.

As I walked down the steps, I took a mental note of the quietness of the cell block. It didn't seem right to me. Normally, that means something is about to happen. Whether it be good or bad.

"It's too quiet in this bitch today." Selena said, peeking at Bri's cards.

"You read a bitch mind, niggas gotta stay on they toes." I concurred.

"Shit, I wish a bitch would try me. Today ain't even my day to be honest with you. My nigga pissing me off and my mother aint even answering my phone calls when I know her ass in the house. I mean she doesn't have a job." We all laughed. She's always at odds with her boyfriend.

"Damn Bri, what ya' nigga did now bruh?" Jojo asked, shaking her head laughing at Bri's comment about her mother.

At this point the game was on hold, we were all tuned in for some gossip. It's a change of pace from the normal gossip that goes around the block.

"This nigga bruh. So I called him to tell him to put some money in my commissary right? He started giving me every excuse as to why he can't do it right now. Telling me that times are hard and that 'he don't have no money'. I'm like nigga where the fuck is all my money from all the jobs we pulled before I got locked up. He couldn't even give me a straight answer. On top of that, I swear this the second time I heard a bitch in the background." Bri vented with her leg shaking uncontrollably.