13

"What do you intend to do following graduation?"

Hermione glanced up at Severus.

It was the weekend. He had been a little quiet for the last several days. Withdrawn in his thoughts. She'd ignored it, assuming it was another dead-end in the experimental potions he continued to brew in his spare time.

Whatever it was, it was probably depressing and not something she wanted to think or talk about.

When he asked the question, Hermione was seated at the far end of the worktop, grading a final batch of second-year essays. Her arm was getting tired and her notes were teetering on the verge of illegible but she'd obstinately continued, determined to finish them.

She paused and set down her quill, a low sinking sensation creeping over her.

This was a conversation she kept intending to have and then delaying because she felt distressed every time she had to think about it.

"The Weasleys expect me to come and live with them," she said without looking up. "Harry already lives there. It seems- the natural thing to do."

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw him set down his stirring rod. The sinking sensation intensified. Did this conversation have to require his undivided attention?

She stared at the quill, carefully straightening several barbs. "I've actually been meaning to talk to you about graduation. NEWT exams are next week. I think it might be ideal to undergo another treatment before they begin, so I'll have more energy for them. That will also put me on schedule to have the last one just before the end of the year feast."

There was a pause.

"The last treatment?" He spoke slowly; his voice was stronger and clearer than usual. It almost sounded the way it used to.

Hermione gnawed at her lip, drawing in a sharp, deep breath. "Yes," she said with a nod, "I don't think it makes sense to continue treatment once I'm at the Weasleys. I wouldn't really want to keep doing it- once I'm there. I think it would be upsetting for them to see it. And it would draw things out for longer than I want to."

She glanced briefly up at him. He was staring at her, his expression inscrutable. "How long do you intend to stay there?"

She swallowed. "They- they expect me to stay at the Burrow until I deteriorate to the point that I need hospice care. Molly wanted me to stay on till the end and just have healers visit, but I said I'd prefer not to."

He blinked. "Hospice?!"

She nodded without meeting his gaze. "There are a few I'm considering. Molly and I are going to visit them after I graduate in order to have everything arranged ahead of time. And-" she licked her lips, "- Harry and Ginny are getting married this Autumn. They were planning for next spring but they bumped it up- to...to make sure I'll be there." She didn't look up but forced her voice to brighten. "You'll probably get an invitation over the holidays."

She tapped her fingernails rapidly on the worktop until a movement in the corner of her eye made her glance up. Severus was drifting towards her, his expression still unreadable. However, there was a sharpness in his gaze that Hermione recognized from the years as one of the most detested students under his tutelage.

Irritation and viciousness just waiting for an excuse to lash out.

She shivered instantly, a shudder running through her guts as her skin prickled.

"You hadn't mentioned that you'd made such a decision." His tone was accusing and resentful- as though he had caught her in an act of deception.

Hermione grew more tense. But it was obvious, wasn't it? Where had he thought she was going to go?