Chapiter 20: Of royalty and love (Part III)

Previously: "Goodbye son." He whispered, kissing the already cold frame of his newborn. He rang the bell and let a guard take him away."

Several months passed, and Annabeth got better and better. However, every moment of happiness was marred by the traces of the past tragedy. As Percy and Annabeth had decided at that time that the pregnancy was not far along enough to raise the hope of the nation, only a restricted number of people learned about the little prince's death.

He was buried in small comity, and being still too frail, Annabeth had been carried to the place in the garden where he was to rest for eternity. That is why people did not understand the sudden change in character of the grieving mother.

Percy managed to hide it rather well and only close friends did notice the change, the loss hidden deep. Annabeth had switched up to the person she was before marrying Percy: cold and suspicious. She only did seem to warm up toward Percy, who had shared the tragedy.

Annabeth had discovered for sure she was pregnant the month before and could not bring herself to hope and had fallen in a trance where she did not answer and did all she could to convince herself she was not, afraid as she was to lose yet another child.

With each month, Annabeth grew and soon enough, she was around eight months along. The doctors told her everything was well and that the baby would be fine, but she could not bring herself to believe it and kept persuading herself to think about it another day.

Percy was unsure of how to react. Every time he tried to talk about the baby, Annabeth would find a way to change the subject without him noticing until it was too late.

She refused to appear in public, while Percy was forced to attend the meetings, reunions, assembly, and parties where he was always the center of the attention, he being kind and all, and where talk about the baby was all he ever heard with remarks such as: "You must be relieved, after three years of marriage than the Queen is not barren."

When he heard that, he wanted to scream and explain all the pain she had been through, but he should not, and he was let to listen to conversation such as these where he had to appear overjoyed.

One day, he decided it was enough. The baby was due in a week or so and everything was going well. He went up and entered Annabeth's room where he knew she was. Annabeth now refused to share a room with him.

He knocked and entered without waiting for an answer, knowing if he did his wife would ask him to wait long enough to prepare herself to remain stoic, He saw his wife jump in surprise.

"Annabeth. We have to talk." He announced when she turned around and lowered her eyes as she saw him.

"Whatever about?" she said, trying to seem unaffected but failing miserably. Percy raised an eyebrow; the sign he did not believe her.

"About the baby. We haven't got a name, or a room, or anything ready for it. We must prepare, Annabeth. This is happening. He or she will be here in a short time."

Annabeth seemed surprised and sighed. "Percy. Now is not the time. I'm tired and am going to sleep a little. We can talk about it later." She answered, but Percy saw her eyes close for a few seconds.

"You okay, Annabeth?" He asked a bit concerned.

"Yes, Percy. Everything is fine, as should be. You said so yourself, didn't you?" She tried to sound convincing, but her eyes betrayed her pain.

"You're in pain," Percy stated, not a question, just an affirmation. "Don't try to lie. I saw it. How long has this been going on?" He pressed.

"It's nothing really Percy. Nothing at all. Completely normal." She assured, in complete denial although her jaw was set.

"I'll call the doctor." He affirmed as he opened the door and ask a guard standing next to the door to call for one.

A doctor had come to examine the Queen and confirmed what the monarch already knew: Annabeth was in labor.

In oppressing hours, Percy stood next to the door, unable to enter. The doctor had convinced him it was better for the patient and he did as he was told. Waiting in agony, the King heard all the screams of his wife.

The door opened, and a nurse ushered him in. "Come meet your son." She smiled at the face of her King.

"He is well and healthy. A beautiful baby, really." He grinned in relief and took the wrapped bundle from her arm.

He got and sat next to his wife, wanting to do the presentation himself.

"Annabeth." He whispered quietly, "let me present you your son."

Annabeth smiled; her face filled with pure joy. "Our son." she corrected gently. "Luke." She called him, discreet way of giving her husband her choice for a name. They both smiled sadly as they remembered their childhood friend. He nodded. Yes, he liked the name.

"He looks just like you." She chuckled.

"He has your hair. Your blond magnificent hair." He said, proudly, amazed at how he could love someone he had only just met.

"And your eyes," she added. "The eyes of the Kings of Atlantis. He will be a great king someday, Perce." He beamed at the use of his nickname. "Like his father."

This is the end of this three-shot! Tell me if you prefer longer or shorter stories?

- The secret pen