IX

Geryon parked the trolley in front of the large house

Geryon parked the trolley in front of the large house. The deck was set up for a party. Streamers and balloons decorated the railing. He led them up the steps. The two-headed dog followed Annabeth closely, making it clear—one wrong move and it'd attack their friend.

"Eurytion, tie up our guests, will you? Can't have them trying to escape before Mr. Jackson is done with the stables." He took a large apron off the porch railing. As he tied it around his middle, the apron covered each chest, with one word on each, so together they spelled out: KISS—THE—CHEF.

Panic settled in Elaine as Eurytion approached them. She didn't want him touching her. He whistled at the dog and it pounced on Elaine, settling it's weight on her lap and baring both sets of its teeth a mere inches from her throat. "Behave yourselves. We wouldn't want something unfortunate to happen." Geryon said.

Their packs were taken away, along with their weapons. Elaine wished she had something like Percy's pen that would reappear after a while or could at least be disguised as a non-threatening object.

Elaine stayed still as she got tied up. She didn't apprecitate being gagged, but she went along with it for the sake of the freaky dog. She was surprised that Nico didn't put up a fight. She knew he didn't care for them, but even he seemed to understand Geryon wasn't kidding about hurting her.

They were seated in a corner, forced to watch Geryon as he turned on the grill and began barbecuing hamburger patties. Eurytion sat at the picnic table, unbothered.

Elaine's stomach ached. That morning's granola bar breakfast was long gone. She hoped Percy was doing better than they were. She had a feeling their day wouldn't end well without him holding up his end of the bargain.

***

As the sun began to dip behind the horizon, Percy came running up the porch steps.

"Let them go!" He yelled. "I cleaned the stables."

Geryon turned. "Did you, now? How'd you manage it?"

He impatiently told him about a river naiad who wouldn't let him use her water to clean the stables, but showed him the fossilized sea shells that could produce ocean water remotely.

Geryon nodded appreciatively. "Very ingenious. It would've been better if you'd poisoned that pesky naiad, but no matter."

"Let my friends go," Percy said. "We had a deal."

"Ah, I've been thinking about that. The problem is, if I let them go, I don't get paid."

"You promised!"

Geryon made a tsk-tsk noise. "But did you make me swear on the River Styx? No, you didn't. So it's not binding. When you're conducting business, sonny, you should always get a binding oath."