13| aldbourne

" I was quiet but I was not blind

" I was quiet but I was not blind."

- unknown

✰✰✰

 Aldbourne was a quaint little town, hidden in the rollings hills of England, with cobblestone streets and path ways, and tiny homes lining those roads, as well as little store fronts and restaurants and a fountain in the center of town. It was like a fairytale almost, with the little eves and peaks of the homes and the shutters on the windows with the flowers out front in tiny soil filled pots. It was magical in a sense. When the trucks pulled into the town center, the men and the women jumped out of their truck beds. Hazel jumped down and looked around with her bag on her back, eyes wide in amazement.

" It's nice ain't it, kid?" Bill said walking up to her side. Bill had helped Hazel up into the truck that morning, and had talked with her the entire way there. Bill was actually fun to be around, and plus he treated her well. Hazel glanced towards him and nodded.

" It's a beautiful little town." she said and Bill smiled at her, helping other men down with their belongings. Hazel began following after the group catching up with Catherine and Lizzie.

" It's like a fairytale, like Snow White." Hazel said looking around.

" It is," Lizzie said her eyes shining, " especially with the little homes. I love it." Hazel grinned.

" Ladies, gentlemen!" a voice called and the group looked up and saw Sink in front of the group.

" You will be receiving your billet assignments now and head over to where your assignment is," Sink explained to the group.

" Yes, sir." the group chorused out. Sink stepped down and guided the group over to where 2 lines were formed to where they would get billet assignments. Hazel prayed that she was with the women, but in general, if she were with any of the other men, she wouldn't be entirely opposed. Hazel glanced back at Catherine as she approached the front. Hazel was handed a small slip of paper and found that her name was there with an address, not a barn number.

" I'm not in a barn," Hazel said, as Catherine and Lizzie came over with their own slips of paper.

" We aren't either." they said showing their own slips of paper. It seems that they were being respected to the fullest, as if they were officers when they clearly weren't. But officers and NCOs received billet assignments and that was something very enjoyable about it all. A home, and an actual bed. 

Hazel bided goodbye to the 2 women, as well as the men who were upset the women wouldn't be bunked with them. 

Joe Liebgott promised he'd probably just show up on random days, she believed he would.

She had eaten breakfast with him that morning, and had found out that he's actually a really nice guy to be around and they never seemed to run out of things to talk about.