Chapter 1

Abracadabra

The most important day of my life?

That's easy, I was eleven and my mom took me to a huge bookshop for my birthday, a strange bookshop and I'm no book lover, so you can imagine how upset I was at first. She led me to a huge bookcase that had thousands of notebooks, blank notebooks; she smiled at me and told me to pick any one of them. I rolled my eyes, but picked one, a small dark green one with small purple stars made not of paper, but of silk. My mom took it from my hand and went to pay for the notebook. Then we went home and she told me to sleep with my new notebook under my pillow, the next day it was filled with spells and magic stuff. Mom told me it was called a shadow book and every witch gained one on her eleventh birthday.

After that day my life got so much more interesting! For awhile at least. For four years it was great, but last month my mom died and now I was being sent to live with my father who I haven't seen since I was, I don't know, five?

Right now I was in a train heading to Phoenix, Arizona. The train was supposed to take three hours, but somehow the clock seemed to be hurrying. I was sitting by the window while flipping through my book. The day my mom gave it to me seemed to have happened so long ago, but the book didn't stop mesmerizing me, every time I opened it there was a new spell or something in it and it made me feel closer to my mom, knowing that her magic was something that I would carry with my all my life, something no one could take away from me.

"Hey, do you mind if I sit here?" A boy said motioning for the sit next to me.

I snapped the book shut before he could see anything and smiled.

"No, not at all! Go ahead!"

"Lucas" He extended his hand and I took it.

"Lyla"

"Hey Lyla, what is your favorite type of candy?" He asked seriously making me laugh.

"Cotton candy, but it has to be the pink kind, the other colors just make me sick." I answered truthfully.

"Honest, but naïve. You don't know how to appreciate the simples and best of all candies, chocolate." He said "But I can respect your opinion on cotton candy at least it's not like every other girl who tells me something like lollipops or bubble gum."

I laughed, he was cute, and he had light brown hair and blue eyes and dimples! I love dimples! And he also looked like he was muscular, not like the freak on twilight Emmet, but more like Nate from gossip girl. Ha, I was analyzing a boy I met on a train. That was just so very smart of me(sarcasm). I would never see him again, so what was the point? But I couldn't help smiling at those dimples.

"Live in Phoenix?" he asked.

"Moving there..." I answered wanting to change this subject.

After that the conversation just flew between us lightly. He was funny and charming and a bit flirty, but I felt comfortable with him. We didn't talk about anything important, just small talk and he had me smiling truthfully for the first time since my mom died.

But to soon the train stopped and we had to say our goodbyes what almost instantly erased my smile.

He gave me a kiss on the cheek and turned to leave.

"Wait, Luke!" I don't know where the nick name came from, but it did.

He turned back at me raising an eyebrow and I took a black sharpie form my purse. I wrote my number on his arm.

"Text me!" I smiled before turning around and living without looking back, but inside my chest my heart was pounding.

Okay, now, time to meet HIM. Deep breaths, Lyla, deep breaths...

********

Hey there!

Hope you enjoyed and also hope that you vote comment or whatever!

I know it's a short one, but it's just to introduce you to Lyla's life.

If you give this story a chance i promisse you won't regret it!

Eat ice cream it warms the heart!

Kisses, Bea!