14 - Christi

We just had to bring Kase. We just had to go to Sabrina's dumb dog's funeral. Okay, so maybe he's not dumb, but I'm still mad at Sabrina. I know I shouldn't be. I'm working on it. Anyway, I just had to sit in the car for half an hour with Kase and Easton talking about one of those video games most boys are obsessed with these days (and when I say obsessed, I mean obsessed obsessed).

It didn't really matter, though. I just couldn't stop thinking about my conversation with Jace.

So that brings me to now. Stuck in this house I've never seen in my life.

And still, I'm holding a grudge against Sabrina. I space out, thinking back to the whole situation. Mom and Dad don't know Sabrina and I have been arguing. In fact, they don't even know I slept a night floating on water and survived.

They can join my clueless club.

Ha, like I have one.

I do.

In my mind. And so far the only member is me. Just swell.

"Hey, Mom..." I start. She's talking to Mrs. Waller.

"Mom..." She doesn't hear me. I don't feel like raising my voice, especially in front of all the adults here.

"Dad..." I say instead. He turns around. At least someone acknowledges my presence!

"Where's the backyard?"

"Over in the back, of course!" I scowl; he laughs and messes my hair into an even more crazy tangle than before. I roll my eyes just thinking about it.

I leave on that helpful note, and search for a door to the back. I find one.

And Sabrina is right next to it.

Oh, joy! I pretend she's not there, and push past her to get to the door. Her hand stops me. She doesn't take her eyes off her phone when she says, "No one's allowed out there until after the funeral." Her voice seems as much an empty void as her eyes do. Creepy.

"Well, then where's the bathroom?" I just want to find a place to be alone for a while. And in this building full of adults chattering, children laughing, and Sabrina, that idea is almost impossible. No, scratch that. It is impossible.

She doesn't answer me. I don't bother trying to aggravate her. But that's not to say I'm done arguing with her. Absolutely not. Not after what she's done.

I head back to the living room from which we'd entered the house. I sit on an empty couch (and let me tell you, there aren't many) and take out my phone. The thing beeps so loud I squeal. In the corner of the room, I see Kase and Easton. They snicker. Boys. I check what made the noise. A message from Lani. With one last scowl at Easton and Kase, I turn down the ringer. Then I open the message.

Christi! Oh my gosh. I was talking to Jethro earlier and he was telling me what happened when...

I think off into space there. Jethro. I know him from somewhere... oh yeah! He's in my band class! He sits next to Sabrina, and she sure doesn't like it! But he is kind of cute... wait. WHAT AM I THINKING? I slap myself on the head multiple times.

What happened to Old Christi? Where is she and who took control of her mind?!?! Someone save her before it's too freakin' late! I keep slapping. And slapping. And slapping.

What the heck happened to Old Christi? What. Happened. Save. Me. This never happened in old Christi's life. Who am I to think things like this? I've spent all my life hating boys (that is, except Easton and Jago) and now, sitting in a crowded living room being a total nobody, I'm thinking about how cute they are. I mean, I suppose it's normal for anyone to be thinking about that kind of stuff... but have you ever met me? Well... actually, I'm like one of those people who fangirls over characters in books and their romantic lives while slowly wondering why no one has asked them out yet. Yes. In short,