Socrates

In the city of Athens, Socrates, a man of wisdom and virtue, preached his philosophy to the people of Athens, Greece. After the oracle he had with the god, Delphi, he learned that he was the wisest man to live in Athens; though, the idea of him not being the wisest plagued his mind. So, he questioned those who supposedly had wisdom, more wisdom than himself, but he found that those who reported to have wisdom didn't have more wisdom than him, or any wisdom at all. Socrates became enraged, not because the men he questioned were not wise, but because they thought they knew more than they did. Socrates was a man of wisdom, yet he believed that he knew nothing, and seeing that the men in question were not like this, he became hateful towards them. This sprouted new enemies, and even though they were up and about, trying to put him through trial and such, he continued his mission to spread his philosophy and question the men who thought of themselves as wise. He gained many followers and students who were devoted to his philosophy, though. His students learned from him as they watched him question others, ultimately finding it amusing to see those that lack wisdom say they have wisdom. Eventually, he found himself going through trial, resulting in imprisonment. Some found his philosophy to be corrupting the youth; however, the youth followed him at their own discretion. His students were never paid as they, too, wanted to seek wisdom and learn more about Socrates' philosophy, but some didn't believe this to be true. Because of this, Socrates found himself facing the death penalty. But even when facing death, his word, his philosophy, lived on.

One of Socrates' students, allowed to visit, came to him in his cell. The student was exuberant.

"I bring great news," he said to Socrates, "the court is thinking about lifting the charges. You don't have to die."

Socrates reacted, but not in the way that his student expected. "What's the meaning of this? Why lift my charges? Do they feel pity for me?"

"I don't know the exact reasons, but whatever it is it shouldn't matter. You can live, Socrates."

Socrates wasn't pleased; rather, he felt angry at the news.

"What's the matter? Isn't this good news?" his student asked him, confused at Socrates for not showing happiness.

Socrates responded. "No. I will not allow the court to do such a thing. If they sentenced me to death, then death is what I shall endure."

The student became perplexed. All of the happiness he had faded. "Socrates," he gasped, "I don't understand. You don't want to live?"

Socrates responded. "I am a man of Athens. I love this city and the people in it. I respect the laws in place, even if I break them. I knowingly broke their laws and I shall now be punished accordingly."

The student didn't know what to say. Socrates no longer had to die, but here he is not happy at the court for trying to lift the charges. It confused him, and he couldn't fully grasp the idea.

"Listen to me," Socrates said, "for I will die, but my philosophy shall continue to live through you and the rest of my students and followers. Go to the other students and tell them all to be here the day of my death."

Without question his student responded, "Yes, Socrates," and left his cell heartbroken.

The student returned to the court, wiping off the tears from his face trying to not look sad in front of the court. The people who tried Socrates stood before him.

"Well," one of the accusers said, "did he accept?"

The student stood dazed as he looked at the ground.

"Out with it, boy," another one of his accusers blurted. This grabbed the student's attention.

"My fellow court," the student started, "I'm afraid that he declined the opportunity to live."

The news baffled the court. Bitter murmurs took control of the court. "Quiet, quiet," a man shouted. "What's the reasoning behind this? Does a man not want to live?"

The student responded. "Socrates told me that he's a man of Athens. He acknowledges that he broke the law, and feels that he should be punished accordingly."

The court filled with chatter once more. One of the people in the court, a high up of sorts, raised his hand, and the people of the court silenced themselves. "If this is what Socrates wishes, then it's a wish we shall grant him... We will discharge the appeal."

The student nodded and left the court as if filled with rambunctious chatter.

He went to the other students and informed them of the news; they weep and felt sorrow. But they agreed to meet Socrates' request. The student, then, went to the followers he knew and informed them of the news; they, too, weep and felt sorrow.

The day of his death came. Socrates' students are there with him as requested. He speaks to them his final words.

"My students. I thank you all for being here. Before I drink this poison, I must tell you all what is needed. Like I said to another already, my philosophy will not die as long as you and my followers continue to walk this earth. Continue to question those who find themselves wise. Though, remember this. No one, not even me, knows everything. If a man of supposed wisdom and just a regular fellow says they do, they are not wise and know nothing." His students nodded and weep as their final moments with Socrates came closer. He raises the poison closer to his lips but pauses. "My mission lives inside of you all. My journey ends today but all of yours start now."

Socrates poured the poison into his mouth. Immediately, his body jerked violently, and his mouth and eyes bled. His students weep as they watched him suffer till his last breath.

One of his students spoke. "Let's not continue to weep my friends. We need to honor him immediately. Let's go and continue to spread his philosophy!"

They agreed with the student. They wiped away their tears and they all left after the tragedy and immediately got to work on spreading Socrates' philosophy. They continued to question the wise, and they gathered more followers. Many died spreading his word, but death didn't stop those who lived. As far as they were concerned, Socrates' philosophy wouldn't be killed by the people of Athens, nor the court of Athens.