Chapter Eighteen

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

THE WOLF SPIRIT wasn't physically there, it seemed to be a projection of a sort, a machine on the other end. Oakland could see right through the spiritual black wolf and into the forest beyond it. The Lockhart took a deep breath, readying himself to speak, but before he could be heard an unfamiliar voice spoke first.

"You must be my physical body," The voice was deep and rumbled through the meadow. It sounded glitchy-like, almost distorted and definitely male.

It took a moment, but when Oakland finally comprehended where the voice had resonated from, he felt his blood chill. He hadn't expected it to speak, it seemed absurd. Animals couldn't speak, so how was his wolf spirit able to? Was it due to it being a spirit? That was the only explanation Oakland could come up with.

"Yes, I am," Oakland replied.

"What brings you to the astral plane, Oakland Lockhart?"

Oakland wanted to ask how the wolf knew his name but remembered that this was his wolf's spirit after all. He inhaled once again then let the words free, "I'm here to claim control over my wolf."

"Claim control?" The black wolf laughed evilly.

Oakland's eyebrows lift up. He was confused but figured the spirit had never experienced its physical body enter the spiritual realm to fight for dominance. The wolf grinned then licked its lips. Froth began to pour out of its mouth and even it looked projected as well. Was his wolf spirit salivating at the thought of fighting him or something else?

"If you want to fight me, you need to know exactly what is in store," the wolf began, "I'm a vengeful spirit which means you must fight me with the pure of heart. But I'm afraid that you, Oakland Lockhart, do not possess benevolence."

Oakland knew he wasn't the purest of lycanthropes, but he wasn't the worst of his kind, either. Sure he had a temper, but now he began to realize why it was so much worse than others. He had a vengeful wolf spirit who bent him to its will with the hold it held over him. And Oakland wouldn't let that stand anymore, he couldn't take another second of it.

"I want control and I will get it,"

The wolf laughed again, but this was more of a cackle than anything else. "Very well. I wish you luck."

Before Oakland could register what was happening, he's hit with a blast of powerful energy that feels like a massive wind gust and knocked onto his backside in the grass. Oakland cursed himself for not realizing that an evil spirit would have malevolent power. The wolf laughed again, but Oakland refused to let this spiritual evil win. He yearned for complete control. So with that, Oakland picked himself back up and stood his ground, ready to face whatever this spirit had to offer.

 So with that, Oakland picked himself back up and stood his ground, ready to face whatever this spirit had to offer

The glowing blue hue stretched closer to the dock and he watched it with his gaze never wavering. Why the astral plane brought him to a lake, he didn't know, but he did know that the glowing hue belonged to his wolf spirit. Judging by the color, he could conclude that he had a benevolent spirit which was both good and bad. He'd have to fight with malevolence which he was incapable of. Octavian had no evil in his veins, how could he expect to fight for control if he didn't possess any malevolent tendencies? And what if he somehow was able to fight back with evil, how could he be sure he wouldn't end up that way the rest of his life?